A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 5/23/2008  (Read 7422 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
isamax
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008 02:52:00 PM »

Also, my handspun yarns are in a book! Written by Cosy of cosyknitsliterally on etsy. It's called "Knit One, Embellish Too" and also includes handspun yarn from knittydirtygirl and feltstudiouk on etsy.

How exciting!  Your yarn is a great pair with her knits!

hobbledehoy Your yarns are gorgeous.  You make me want to master my singles!

I'm going to try not to take pics and post my new yarns until I have set the twist as a tactic to try to keep me from falling behind. We'll see...  Anyone else have that problem?  Anyway, here is what I FINISHED this week.

Wool/Alpaca, plyed w/thread

Superwash/Lurex, plyed w/thread

Superwash/Silk Sari, 2 ply
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
misschris87
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008 03:18:17 PM »

Everyone's yarn is so pretty! I want to pet it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathleenalice
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008 04:21:30 PM »

Whoops, some more! Just plied this up tonight. It's from mystery fibre from a mixed bag from forestfibres on ebay. I suspect that it's a mix of 2 natural colours of something...but I don't know what.

I call it Milky Brew*. 60g, 85m, 13wpi.

*For those of you not from the north of England, that's a cup of tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008 05:12:40 PM »

My first Fiber Friday contribution! My first two yarns, one done a couple days ago, the other done tonight. I just got my drop spindle kit in the mail earlier this week, and I want to go and spin the rest of the wool that came with it! But, I'm making myself space it out, since I can't buy more roving until payday (next Friday). I am in the process of setting the twist, so they are still wet. I have no idea of yardage or weight, but I would guess maybe 30 yards each? Both of them are spun thick and thin, underspun and overspun, depending on where in the yarn you are.  Tongue a.k.a., beginner yarn!

first, before setting the twist

second, while still on the drop spindle

drying! (excuse the mess, I never unpacked after coming home from college)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
froggyfibers

Ribbit Ribbit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008 06:37:52 PM »

isamax: I love the sari silk superwash mix.
jazzturtle: I come looking every week and wonder where you find all the time. Even when you say your super busy you still seem to have tons.

Here is my one yarn for the week. I don't know the yardage but its super bulky and 10 ounces

I tried to get a good sunlight picture but not matter what stage I took pictures (from fiber to batt to yarn) I always got this annoying glare.

I even named this one. It's called Mystic Dream. I was very proud since I kept thinking something about Goth or Royalty or some combination of the words but I have had to many yarns with those words included somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008 08:08:37 PM »

Myklia and Indigo Roses, welcome to the fold Smiley  Your first spins look great- keep photographing every single yarn you spin, because it's so so so much fun to watch your progress!  And make sure to share them here too!

I only have two this week because I've been busy with a billion different things- but in a good way!  Pics are bad b/c I keep missing daylight, but you get the idea:

This is "Playground", a low-twist single made up of some Fatcat Knits merino roving, mill ends, and a Moustache Ride's mystery batt, plus some random leftovers from my stash.  It's a worsted/bulky weight, i haven't measured or weighed it yet:

Next is "Corsair" which I spun from several Enchanted Knoll superwash batts, plus some other random fibers (I believe from Hobbledehoy and Mandalinn).  I am already planning another yarn like this.  I totally maxed out my jumbo flyer with this one- 170 yards and 5.75 oz!  It's got some sparkle, mohair fuzzies, and sari silk.  It's sleek and dark and colorful, this picture does NOT do it justice:

That's all for now, but I'm planning a massive spinning session this weekend.  I'm glad I've finally learned how to spin a calm single! 

Have a good weekend, all Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008 08:25:33 PM »

Wow Indigo Roses, your first spins are much better than mine, but I hope I learned some lessons from my first one.

Cloudlover, I love "Playground".  I also keep forgetting to mention that I love your username as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008 08:31:52 PM »

Well I got my wheel saturday, and by tuesday I had spun up my first batch. There are three bobbins of sheep's wool. It started out as pencil roving, so I didn't have to worry about drafting, starting slow. But I like the way they came out, might ply them this week.

comments greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008 08:44:42 PM »

Wow Indigo Roses, your first spins are much better than mine, but I hope I learned some lessons from my first one.

Cloudlover, I love "Playground".  I also keep forgetting to mention that I love your username as well.

My username actually has a hilariously nerdy background, which I will share because it is kind of late and I've had a glass of wine- I think I picked my first AIM account name when I was 15 or so.  At the time, I was playing Final Fantasy 7 (Playstation videogame) and had a major crush on the main character, Cloud Strife.  Yeah, something about pretty blonde boys with spikey hair.  Nevermind he was a graphic Wink  Anyway, the first username that came to mind was "ILoveCloud", then "CloudisHot", but that was taken so I had to settle for HotCloud.  I know, right?  Then the next account I signed up with was Yahoo, so I plugged in HotCloud.. taken!  Then ILoveCloud.. nope!  Cloudlover?  Nope!  Cloudlover69!  Success!  So I've used that as a default account setup name ever since, including when I registered with Etsy over a year ago to simply buy some soap, never thinking I would sell under it.  But I've made the best of it, and my BF even designed a nice sheep floating in the clouds as a logo for me Smiley

Your first yarn is way better than mine was.  I had no idea what drafting meant.  Seriously.  I was like, what do you mean, pull the fiber...  I just tore it into strips and shmooshed it together in a "join" and flicked the spindle furiously to get enough twist into a chunk of fiber the size of my thumb, while trying to do something with my would-be drafting hand...  it was odd.  And hey, all my other yarns since then have turned out fine, so you'll be ok!  Just make sure you try every kind of fiber on this earth, and you'll learn 10x faster. 

Oh, and callmeflower, great job!  I love that color.  Congrats on your wheel!  Those will make a fantastic plied yarn- be sure to post it here!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008 09:01:46 PM »

I also keep forgetting to mention that I love your username as well.

My username actually has a hilariously nerdy background, which I will share because it is kind of late and I've had a glass of wine- I think I picked my first AIM account name when I was 15 or so.  At the time, I was playing Final Fantasy 7 (Playstation videogame) and had a major crush on the main character, Cloud Strife.  Yeah, something about pretty blonde boys with spikey hair.  Nevermind he was a graphic Wink  Anyway, the first username that came to mind was "ILoveCloud", then "CloudisHot", but that was taken so I had to settle for HotCloud.  I know, right?  Then the next account I signed up with was Yahoo, so I plugged in HotCloud.. taken!  Then ILoveCloud.. nope!  Cloudlover?  Nope!  Cloudlover69!  Success!  So I've used that as a default account setup name ever since, including when I registered with Etsy over a year ago to simply buy some soap, never thinking I would sell under it.  But I've made the best of it, and my BF even designed a nice sheep floating in the clouds as a logo for me Smiley

Your first yarn is way better than mine was.  I had no idea what drafting meant.  Seriously.  I was like, what do you mean, pull the fiber...  I just tore it into strips and shmooshed it together in a "join" and flicked the spindle furiously to get enough twist into a chunk of fiber the size of my thumb, while trying to do something with my would-be drafting hand...  it was odd.  And hey, all my other yarns since then have turned out fine, so you'll be ok!  Just make sure you try every kind of fiber on this earth, and you'll learn 10x faster. 

Great story.  Of course I was thinking just loving to look at clouds in the sky.  I have been in love with clouds for some time.  Totally geeky, I know.

I think I am drafting too hard.  I am trying to find balance.  I am in the process of pre-drafting my next roving.  When I spin I want to throw in some of the leftover roving I have from my last one.  Now if I can figure out the leader yarn concept (I really just fudged my way through that).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...