A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: are corn and nasturtium companion plants?  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
CanaryYellow
« on: May 22, 2008 09:55:39 PM »

howdy all. so i have corn, pole beans, winter melon, carrots, and sunflowers in 4x8 raised box. since it's been getting warmer, i've been thinking about mulch (woooo!!!). the winter melon should provide cover but i'm not sure how much and if i can even direct it. so i was thinking: maybe nasturtium... since they grow like crazy, they'd be perfect living mulch. but i'm not sure how they will impact the corn (i've read that beans/sunflowers/nasturtiums can be grown together). does anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011 08:44:12 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 09:51:40 AM »

corn , beans, and squashes are all tradtional companion plants in traditional Native American gardening. The beans would climb the corn stalks, and the squash provided shade for the soil when it got hot. Nasturtium would look very pretty with corn, and I can see no reaon not to try it. But if you want utillitarian gardening, go with some kind of pole bean. You don't have a lot of room for most squash in the area you are working with, but there are some that are smaller than others. I would try a Japanese type, kuri or kubocha. Kubocha are available in most grocery stores, and you can just plant a few seeds from your dinner squash, it works, I have done it myself. Linda.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008 09:52:44 AM by Prickly Venus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CanaryYellow
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008 05:42:17 PM »

oh i planted my pole beans and scarlet runner beans right next to the corn. i also planted a winter melon (which will serve as ground cover). the melon should go pretty crazy....so i'll probably end up periodically pruning it during the summer. i think i'll plant the nasturtium near the sunflowers in the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008 08:45:28 PM »

Might I suggest a New Zealand spinach for ground cover? They are unbelievably hardy, delicious and take heat. Also, a suggestion on the corn. Since you have such a small number, remember to hand pollinate. Just shake the pollen down from the tassle Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
CanaryYellow
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008 05:39:32 PM »

hanks for the advice. i hadn't thought about heat tolerant spinach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...