A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
316 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photographing Your Products - A Couple of Tips  (Read 8943 times)
Tags for this thread: product_photography  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sewing stars
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2004 05:36:48 AM »

I saw a hematite colored poster board at Micheals a little while ago. It had a pearlecent(sp?) surface. It would be a cheap way to reproduce the results of those pictures. The photographer must have used abient light and then a small focused light directly on the jewelry.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2004 05:57:02 AM »

The photographer must have used abient light

you meant ambient, i'm guessing-so, no flash, just good, natural light (plus a small "spot light").  did i get that right?
thanks!  great idea with the pearlized backdrop.
i used to use fun textures-grass, etc., but i found that for jewelry, it overpowers the artwork, and for some juried craft shows, unprofessional pics of good work can detract from the overall presentation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2004 07:19:10 AM »

You can tell by the shadows how the light in those pics is positioned over the top of the pieces, and then they are probably not photographed straight on.  I think most of that effect, with the exception of the color of the backdrop is probably all in the angles.  It looks like the pieces might be positioned on a board so they aren't lying flat, but angled up slightly, with a directional light overhead, perhaps slightly to one side, and then photographed a bit on edge, down even with the piece.  

I'd start with a nice backdrop, get a directional light (might want to try a diffused or filtered bulb, mix it up,) find somewhere with good, but not a lot, of ambient light and start playing around with angles.  A little bit of playing with types of light bulbs and angles of light and photo, and you should come up with something similarly satisfying.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004 07:21:13 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
thepeachmartini
I enjoy being a dame.

Awkward Unicorn

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005 06:54:55 AM »

Would any one mind if I offered a few pieces of advice regarding photographing your products (either for sharing your talents on here, or for posting them to your web site)?

I've been searching through the oodles and boodles of images posted here, and I've noticed that some people have trouble getting their images looking good. Why do I care?? Well, as a photographer, it drives me crazy to see blurry photos that are either too dark or too light! But most of all because making a good first impression with the presentation of your products is SO important when trying to sell them.  I know a lot of people just use point and shoot digital cameras to photograph their products; not every one has access to the latest and greatest photography equipment, and quite frankly you don't need to in order to get good images.
Most digital cameras these days have some sort of zoom feature on them. This is helpful when photographing smaller objects, but you have to remember to keep a decent distance between the camera and the product. Just remember, if you zoom in with your camera, you don't have to be as close to the product when you're taking the picture.
If your camera has the option of changing the resolution settings, select a high quality setting. This is especially handy for posting images to your on-line shopping cart or website. Images will look less pixelated and more clear, which is always a good thing Smiley
And, finally, the thing that can make or break the picture - flash. It's a tough call sometimes when to use flash and when not to. It gets especially tricky when dealing with any types of metal or reflective surfaces. A simple, inexpensive solution is to cut a small piece of a white plastic bag or a piece of tissue paper and secure it over your camera's flash. Looks silly, I know, but it will diffuse the light from the flash, making it less harsh and more even.

I hope these tips seem helpful, and I don't come across as a know-it-all! I just want to help you guys be successful in selling and presenting your products to your customers. This is my way of giving back to every one here who posts their wonderful ideas!! Thanks for sharing all your talent with me, and I hope I have some creations to share with y'all in the near future!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim (formerly KimmyLynne82)
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog~Twitter: @ThePeachMartini
Freaky_Styler

Princess of Dirt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2005 04:34:56 AM »

Thanks very much for that!  I shall have to give the tissue paper technique a try!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2005 08:45:41 AM »

Excellent tips -- Thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Beadbakery
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2005 06:51:45 PM »

Thanks sooo much for the info.  I've been struggling with taking pics of my pieces because I want to get the viewer to get a sense of what the beads look like up close.  I'm definately going to try your suggestions
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thepeachmartini
I enjoy being a dame.

Awkward Unicorn

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2005 02:44:34 PM »

I'm glad y'all are finding this helpful!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim (formerly KimmyLynne82)
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog~Twitter: @ThePeachMartini
Kryistina
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2005 05:18:52 PM »

I am going for the tissue paper too. *laugh* I have a horrid problem with flash and my plastic bottles that my products are in!

Thanks so much!
-K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smoon26
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2005 09:45:54 PM »

great tips...I'm not a pro photographer...novice at best...but I do agree with your tips.  i use tissue on my slr all time-especially if i can't bounce my external flash. 

Just wanted to say though...some digital cameras don't let you do that.  My old nikon 995 for instance...if you tried to cover the flash at ALL it blacked out the photo.  I haven't tried it with my new nikon (yeah, i'm a nikon snob), since you can lower the flash level on it.  With digital cameras, check and see if there is a closeup setting.  I'm not sure if its on the less expensive models or not, but crack out the owners manual and find out!  Its a really nice feature!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...