A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
217 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Revision break = summer dress  (Read 6814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
imogen.s
Previously known as imi.

Red lipstick and red nails, all a girl needs.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008 12:48:39 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments everyone Cheesy
That is really pretty! I've always wanted to do the elastic thread but never had the guts and could never find any. Where did you find yours?
It was in my fabric shop, near the big boards of reels of cotton...but I couldn't find it at first, so I asked if they had any.
I really would reccomend shirring, it's really easy and seriously satisfying! My shirring thread had instructions on the back, but if you need any help, send me a PM Smiley

Ooh I love this! Very summery. Smiley
I bought a shirred top recently and was hoping to try my hand at shirring something similar. 
As for adding more interest, I think its cute as it is now, but my top has this interesting addition you might be interested in.  They have basically threaded and looped some thicker thread (almost like a very thin wool tbh) through the shirred stiches to make a subtle pattern.  I'll try and find a photo, I'm afraid I don't know the technical term.
Does anyone else know what I'm on about? ^^;;

EDIT: Might be faggotting..? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Featherstitch
Ooh, are you talking about smocking? I had thought about doing something like that, but I don't think I shirred tightly enough for that to work properly...hmm, maybe I'll make another that I'll do tighter.

Thanks again Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."
-Coco Chanel
kazzavinci_w_87
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008 03:13:39 AM »

It is a lovely looking dress and stuff you can add? Well, for me I'm a big fan of sequin and bead designs - I'll be adding a few creations up here soon when I get the time Sad

But with the fabric being a print, I was going to say some machine embroidery but that might not work well. Just a few ideas I thought I might throw out there.

Shirring thread? You can get shirring thread? Why didn't anyone tell me. I must have been away from the sewing and fabric shops for too long  Embarrassed

Have a good day/night, one and all  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tunacat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008 05:31:02 AM »

Ooh, are you talking about smocking? I had thought about doing something like that, but I don't think I shirred tightly enough for that to work properly...hmm, maybe I'll make another that I'll do tighter.

Thanks again Cheesy

Yes! That's the word! Cheesy
It's great to hear that shirring is doable and fun, I will def give it a go after my exams are done with - with pretty much one a day for the next two weeks I sadly don't have any time for myself. xP
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilacprint
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008 12:54:22 PM »

Really cute! I like the straps as they are, perfect! Good job.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008 03:41:00 PM »

i love it! i can't wait to try shirring!!!
and i wouldn't add anything Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmasaurus
...and up comes the toolbar. that's what she said.

do you think this is referring to your boning jan?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008 06:10:06 PM »

oh my this is so cute!!  everytime i try shirring, it just hates my guts.  but i keep meaning to get some shirring thread at the store to keep trying.  i think it looks adorable as it is, but you could always add a removable satin ribbon under the bustline in a coordinating color for some spice.  great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twylag
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008 06:20:56 PM »

this might be a little bit of a weird question, but what is shirring thread?  Is it just that thin thread-covered elastic that comes on spools?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

munzder
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008 08:15:42 PM »

aw that is perfect.
i think it is fine as it is. so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008 07:45:30 AM »

Ooh I love this! Very summery. Smiley
I bought a shirred top recently and was hoping to try my hand at shirring something similar. 
As for adding more interest, I think its cute as it is now, but my top has this interesting addition you might be interested in.  They have basically threaded and looped some thicker thread (almost like a very thin wool tbh) through the shirred stiches to make a subtle pattern.  I'll try and find a photo, I'm afraid I don't know the technical term.
Does anyone else know what I'm on about? ^^;;

EDIT: Might be faggotting..? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Featherstitch

I think what you mean is smocking? never tried it myself but it looks so nice on shop bought stuff I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imogen.s
Previously known as imi.

Red lipstick and red nails, all a girl needs.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008 08:44:13 AM »

Oooh, more ideas and comments, thanks again Cheesy
Today I've been wearing it with a navy blue satin ribbon just under where the shirring ends. I like it, it's 2 metres long, so I wrap it around twice and then tie it in a bow on the side, at the front and I think it looks yum Smiley
I wore it to school today, and I got so many comments from people "I love your dress!"...and then when I told them that I'd made it they didn't believe me!!

For all the people who are scared about shirring, it's seriously easy...I could make a tutorial if anyone would find that useful?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."
-Coco Chanel
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...