A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
204 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Revision break = summer dress  (Read 6815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
imogen.s
Previously known as imi.

Red lipstick and red nails, all a girl needs.

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2008 12:13:39 PM »

So, I'm studying for exams at the moment and I had banned myself from sewing until after they ended to stop the distraction...but then I realised that I had nothing to do in my breaks...
Today I bought some shirring thread and decided to give it a try, having thought it must be difficult in the past.
This dress took me about an hour and I love it Cheesy
I'm trying to find something to add to it, as it's a bit boring at the mo...I'm thinking about some ric-rac perhaps? Any ideas would be fabulous Cheesy
As always, no pattern...
(Sorry about the terrible photos, just wanted to get some quickly...)

Comments? Constructive criticism?
xxx
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 12:14:32 PM by imi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."
-Coco Chanel
Quinndustrious P.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008 12:20:06 PM »

cute! i love it with the pearls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my pinterest boards! http://pinterest.com/quinnp/
veggie head 4 life

Chickpeas & peanut butter will feed the world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008 12:29:02 PM »

hey nice job! Smiley i was thinking about giving shirring another try.

if i may ask.....about how tight did you wind the elastic thread around the bobbin?

also, perhaps you could spice it up with a little ruffle or lace at the hem......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dance through your days........

my fabric-tastic blog
http://agreenbanana.blogspot.com/

Let's be friends!!
http://www.myspace.com/greeeengoooodness
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008 12:31:09 PM »

looks good the wy it is , lace or some nive plain ribbon would be nice around the bottom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
dez-igns
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008 12:34:36 PM »

if i may ask.....about how tight did you wind the elastic thread around the bobbin?

also, perhaps you could spice it up with a little ruffle or lace at the hem......
just wrap the elastic as it is around the spool, don't stretch it.  Then tighten your bobbin tension ( you might have to play with it a bit depending on the fabric)

I love your dress! It looks great on you. I agree with some kind of ribbon or lace at the bottom Cheesy I made a bunch of these for my girls but have yet to do my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
imogen.s
Previously known as imi.

Red lipstick and red nails, all a girl needs.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008 12:41:21 PM »

oooh, comments already! thanks everyone, i appreciate your kind words Smiley

i just wound it, pulling it a little but not stretching it massively. just pulling it enough for it to not hang loosely, if that makes sense. I held the thing of elastic thread in my mouth (i'd run out of hands Tongue) and the bobbin in my hand. and then there was the tension from my mouth stopping the thread unwinding. eek, that makes no sense, and now i sound like some weird thread eating person Tongue

hmm, ill pop into the haberdashery shop tomorrow to find something to go on it, I can't find anything quite right in my stash at the moment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."
-Coco Chanel
seamstressfortheband

Dum da dum dum, dum dum dum.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008 02:17:39 PM »

That is really pretty! I've always wanted to do the elastic thread but never had the guts and could never find any. Where did you find yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Rosesred
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008 02:35:09 PM »

Love the combination of the fabric and this type of dress, makes for a very elegant dress. What I personally would change is extent the shirring a little more downward. I like it when the fabric doesn't 'blossom' untill it's well beyond the bosom, more flattering imo. As to extending the dress... that's hard, because I really like the simplicity of this. Maybe a little lace trim in off-white here and there?

It's so great that you made this in under an hour! it looks fab
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tunacat
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008 03:28:28 PM »

Ooh I love this! Very summery. Smiley
I bought a shirred top recently and was hoping to try my hand at shirring something similar. 
As for adding more interest, I think its cute as it is now, but my top has this interesting addition you might be interested in.  They have basically threaded and looped some thicker thread (almost like a very thin wool tbh) through the shirred stiches to make a subtle pattern.  I'll try and find a photo, I'm afraid I don't know the technical term.
Does anyone else know what I'm on about? ^^;;

EDIT: Might be faggotting..? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Featherstitch
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 03:31:42 PM by Tunacat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008 06:10:12 PM »

I wouldn't add a THING to that dress. It's perfect for summer. You could make a shrug to coordinate...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...