A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How I spent Mother's Day weekend -- lots of Resin / Tile pendants :)  (Read 1529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

radmommy
« on: May 11, 2008 10:21:29 PM »

All I wanted for Mother's day was some quiet time to craft... my DH has a cold though, which apparently is the end of the world... so I took matters into my own hands and stayed up super late last night making gobs and gobs of tile pendants... I had a gallon jug of easy cast calling my name, and spent yesterday at Archiver's trolling for great paper... here are some of my faves, but I made like ZILLIONS, thinking I would give them to friends as (belated) Mother's Day gifts. Here are a couple of my favorites, there were so many I put a slide show on my blog if anyone's interested

http://optimisticknitter.blogspot.com

this monkey is for my niece, who is turning 5 next month.. the theme of her birthday party is "butter monkey" ... whatever that is, lol

Thanks for looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008 10:33:29 PM »

First, Happy Mother's Day to you!!

Those are great! I especially love the monkey.  Grin

I'm a little confused. Is the whole thing made out of resin to create a "tile"? Or did you use little ceramic tiles and cover them in resin? Also, I love your Ariel resin stuff on your blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bloodymairy
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008 12:36:39 AM »

hey love them ! i must ask you thought. how is that your paper doesn't melt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radmommy
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008 12:51:10 AM »

They are mounted on wood tiles.. I bought a bunch at Hobby Lobby, and then ordered some in bulk from a place I found on google... I Modge Podged the paper onto the wood tile, and I did a bunch of coats of the Modge Podge, the first batch I tried, some of the modge podge didn't stick well, and the resin got underneath and it looked wonky... the ones I did last night, I did maybe 3-4 coats and had much better results... then I just layer the resin on with a paint brush... it's super easy, and I'm completely addicted
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008 06:57:12 AM »

Those are beautiful!

How long does your process take...and would you consider making a tute for us visual learners on craftster?

I hope your DH feels better for your sake! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
radmommy
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008 07:30:40 AM »

Thank you  Smiley

The whole process took a couple of days, mostly because of the time it took for everything to cure.. I started Saturday afternoon, and worked on the modge podge / resin coating piece of the process until late that night...and they were ready to photograph by Sunday afternoon

I haven't ever tried my hand at a tutorial, but I could give it a shot Smiley That would give me a good excuse to do a bunch more (and today's my day off, yay!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008 07:36:19 AM »

Hooray for us, I hope you do try a tute!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008 08:21:18 AM »

something new to try!!!  those are great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008 09:34:42 AM »

i was hoping to get into resin but i have no clue where to start. this project seems fun and easy to do with great results. i would love you if you created a simple tutorial. Thanks!! I love your pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...