A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
223 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can you help find a pattern for this dress???  (Read 1753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
l_borg
« on: May 11, 2008 04:43:58 AM »

hi

i'm looking to try an make this dress minus the shirring on the back of the dress, can you help?

http://www.mycatwalk.com.au/pages/aje_1.html

even if its only for the top the bottom of the dress will be easy to work out.

thanks

lou xo  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DangitDana
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008 12:43:22 PM »

Simplicity has a new pattern off their "project runway" designs might be something similar to this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chincha
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008 03:40:15 AM »

I'm thinking this way.. The bottom might be done by lenghtening a normal balloon skirt pattern (like moving the waist from the hip to just under bust (If you can figure out what I mean), and the top I believe could be made by measuring between under your bust and above it and multiply that by 2 (or more). Then you could make a large rectangle (imagine it as a kind of a scarf that you would wrap around your bust and tie in the back). I doubled the height to make the gathered effect on the bust. And here is where I would slightly alter the pattern... Instead of making the shirring in the back, I would lenghten the previously mentioned rectangle and narrow it to the original height of your bust in the ends (from under arms to the end of rectangles) and just use it to tie the top in the back (I would narrow the rectangle so it wouldn't make such a huge bow in the back). To finish off the upper front piece, I would just add a rectangle to the front (The small one that runs upwards). This rectangle is a perfect chance for you to gather the bust area properly and sew the rectangle to the gatherings to keep them in place. I would probably use fabric that is stretchy enough to fit my bust perfectly and to being able to tighten it properly in the back and still being able to move your chest (as in breathing normally without popping any seams or so)- But I would not choose a material that is too stretchy, because the balloon skirt would definitely lose its fullness and shape... Wow-a long reply Cheesy Hope you could understand anything that I wanted to say Smiley If you don't I could draw what I meant and post it... Good luck with this dress- Make it gorgeous! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
l_borg
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008 12:01:54 AM »

thanks for the input - i think i will attempt it in a few weeks once exams are finished. i will be sure to post my photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...