A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make-A-Friend Swap Round 2 (CLOSED!!!)  (Read 66735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MEshelltakeone
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008 11:27:07 AM »

oh i have a question:

so...if we sign up for the "lite"version, does that mean we cant send to out of the country?? or did i read it wrong??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesspepper
Limitlessness is an addictive fix...

coffee, coffee, save my life...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008 12:10:16 PM »

I also have a question:
what is a significant other? someone like my boyfriend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008 12:39:20 PM »

oh i have a question:

so...if we sign up for the "lite"version, does that mean we cant send to out of the country?? or did i read it wrong??

Well..you can but it doesnt make sense at all to me. If you can't afford doing the full version, i dont see how you could afford paying $50 for shipping. The only exception would be if you live in canada and ship to the US or vise versa. Shipping to Canada isnt half as bad as trying to ship to the UK or Australia.
I also have a question:
what is a significant other? someone like my boyfriend?

Yes. Boyfriend, Girlfriend, Husband, Wife, Partner, etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
rossana9041
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008 12:53:46 PM »

I finished my first swap and sent my questionnaire in! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008 12:56:23 PM »

I think offering the lite version was a great idea! It helps people who maybe wanted to join but couldn't justify the shipping costs or the crafting time the chance to join in the fun.

I'll just say for shipping....

In round 1 my friend is in Australia. I sent 2 US Flat rate boxes and then the 3rd box was larger. The shipping was $38 a piece for the flat rates and $56 for the last box because the USPS shipping rules, it could have been much heavier then I made it, its a girth rate shipping that costs that much.

So $132 in shipping alone for those boxes. If I had in my opinion skimp on what I was going to send for package 3 my shipping would have only been $18 less. So International shipping you are looking at paying over $100 to ship the items.

However, I was in the 12 days swap this past winter and sent within the  US. Shipping was still over $100 for the items I chose to make. So you can chose to make smaller, lighter items and such, but, you also want to keep in mind what your partner would like and love to receive.

I don't think anyone has to make a quilt, an afghan or send some bronze sculpture, but if you don't feel you can afford shipping, it's not fair to make say a piece of paper with a drawing if it's not what your partner is into, so you can save on shipping all around.

So I'd just keep in mind that shipping for the full will be over $100 internationally and could be that high within your own country based on what you make. It could be as low as $30 or so within your own country only but you may really find that last package costs more to ship and I would budget probably at least $50 for that last package. If it ends up being less then you either have funds to spoil your new friend, or a few bucks to go get yourself something Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
razberryjam
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008 01:00:33 PM »

Thanks for the info, Bugaboo! That's really good to know.
I'm so excited for this swap!
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilentMynerva
Crafty Goddess!

The Silent Roman Goddess of Wisdom!

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008 03:54:51 PM »

YAY... I'm a co-organizer... Smiley

Hopefully it will be just as good as last time... I loved my partner from round 1 and hope i'll keep in contact with her... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suinoko
Strangely Multi-...talented?

GEEK

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008 05:29:38 PM »

Well..you can but it doesnt make sense at all to me. If you can't afford doing the full version, i dont see how you could afford paying $50 for shipping.

[[Hrm, I don't think the 'lite' people should be restricted to their own country if they didn't want to be - I think the 'no international shipping' should stay a separate option. (Edit: I see it's not restricted, just went to re-read the rules. Smiley) I was considering signing up for the lite version not because I couldn't afford it monetarily but because I didn't have the time to do a larger package and so in that case I could and would have still shipped abroad, and would have preferred to as well. Also, the lite version could be the case that it would cost less and make shipping abroad affordable. It makes perfect sense to me not to restrict 'lite' packages to non international.

As for me, my total shipping costs came to about 35 for all three packages in total (that's $70 USD) to Australia from the UK, not as much as Bugaboo suggested. My packages weren't exactly light either, my first two were I think 2kg but my third was actually a lot less in weight. I think it's better value if you don't go for flat rate shipping (unless you make particularly heavy items). For those in the UK who are interested, I just used Royal Mail Airmail services. No special courier service needed. You can get it with recorded delivery for a couple of extra.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 05:44:19 PM by suinoko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live only for the present moment, there is no other moment.

Here, take a look at my new Wist!
SilentMynerva
Crafty Goddess!

The Silent Roman Goddess of Wisdom!

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008 05:34:06 PM »

Well... what Bugaboo was talking about was going from the US to Austrailia... shipping overseas from the US or to the US costs a bit... it might be completely different going from the UK to Austrailia... Smiley

not trying to undermine you or anything... but it cost me 20 dollars to send to the UK from the US and it was VERY light... so yeah..... it's just slightly different from different places. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suinoko
Strangely Multi-...talented?

GEEK

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008 05:42:27 PM »

it might be completely different going from the UK to Austrailia... Smiley
not trying to undermine you or anything... but it cost me 20 dollars to send to the UK from the US and it was VERY light...

I guess we just have a better postal service, then. Wink My most expensive package cost about 17 (<$40) and my cheapest only 4 ($8) O_o; (I swear they must have mis-calculated, that seemed way too little). $50 seems pretty extortionate for one package, you can send way over 2kg for that price. Just info for the people from UK wanting to join.

Oh, and our postal prices are the same for anywhere outside of Europe - be it the US, Australia, Japan or Brazil. Within Europe it's slightly cheaper.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 05:47:32 PM by suinoko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live only for the present moment, there is no other moment.

Here, take a look at my new Wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...