A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 319,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
211 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warhol-esque Picture for Mother's Day Gift  (Read 1563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bewitched2982

i <3 wizard rock

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2008 09:40:21 PM »

So, first off I'm not sure this is the right category... if it's not please move it and accept my apology!
And now, on to the pictures.  This first one is the original; it's me and my mom when I was about 3 (gotta love my mom's great hair  Roll Eyes ).

Here is what I did with it in photoshop.  I know it's not super amazing, but I have very few photoshop skills and I did this in a couple of hours on whim.  So I'm pretty pleased Smiley

If anyone knows a lot about photoshop and wants to give me any pointers, that would be much appreciated!  Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008 09:42:15 PM »

I like it .. and I love your moms shirt !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008 10:19:05 PM »

I think its fantastic...and I agree - Mom's shirt rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008 04:09:11 AM »

Hey!

If you have the full version of photoshop, here's what I like to do to get the effect...

--make sure you do everything on a different layer so you can have something to go back to if you don't like it--label each layer with what you did on the layer (ie. sharpen, brightness adjust, etc)

1) Go into your filters and hit "unsharp mask"--play with the sliders until you get what you want--usually crank one up (I forget which).  It will get rid of a lot of the detail and make it look kind of posterized without using that filter because that filter kind of sucks. 

2) Make your image grayscale at this point by going under Image, Mode, grayscale.  You will need to go back to RGB to finish out with filters and then CMYK to print.

3)  Go under your adjustments (where you'd find brightness/contrast) and hit "levels."  Don't do auto levels.  There are 3 sliders.  Move the outside two towards the middle until you start getting shapes and losing the background. 

4) You can delete the background and leave the black/grey shapes.  You'll put in a solid color for the background anyway. If you want to do that now, put a layer in and fill it white behind the rest of your photos (remember, you're still in greyscale so a real color wont' work).

5) You can go back to RGB (image, mode, RGB).

6) select shapes that you want to be the same color using the various selection tools.  Once you have shapes that are going to be the same color selected, cut them out (using the common cut command--ctrl+c or command+c).  When you hit paste (control+v or command+v) they should automatically go on a new layer.  You'll have to drag to reposition them in the correct spot.  Label this layer by what the shape actually is so it will be easy to adjust later. 

7) Once you have all your layers of what will become groups of different colors, you can color them several ways.  One way I like to do it is just select the color you want in the foreground, and then hit shift+option+delete.  That *should* fill the shapes with the foreground color.  It may or may not work to your liking.  Another way you can do it is go under image, adjustments, selective color, or image, adjustments, replace color, or image, adjustments, gradient map (?--it's gradient something).  Just play with different ways of coloring until you get what you want.

Cool  Do this to all your layers, fill in your background layer, and you have your first photo.  Save it as something, then go back and save it as something else, repeat the color process with different colors on each layer, and you have your second one, third, and fourth in a flash. Lots of work to set up, but once it's set up you can try a million color combos in a flash.  Smiley

Hope that helps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008 04:13:52 AM »

I forgot to add--if you want to do a "cutout" filter after the unsharp mask, it will add to the effect. It depends on how warhol-esque you want it.  The cutout will smooth the edges out a lot and get rid of textures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bewitched2982

i <3 wizard rock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 07:46:35 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice! Smiley I'll try it out on my next attempt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...