A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 315,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Shops ~ Nationwide  (Read 3465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

QuincyLovesYou
Tabitha Rocks

I <3 My Mini

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2008 01:40:18 AM »

I live near Birmingham and tend to go to the Fancy Silk Store in Brum for my fabric fix. It stocks quite a bit but it's not in a great location and the layout means you can't look/touch all the fabric on display.

Sooo, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any fabric shops that have a good range and is enjoyable to look around. I was discussing this with my mom and we decided that if a place has really good reviews then it would be worth travelling to.

Sooo, it doesn't matter where in the UK the shop is we are willing to travel!

Looking forward to any recommendations!

Cheesy x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Like Racing Tabitha Cheesy
SalutingMagpies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008 06:00:10 AM »

Well I've only been fabric shopping in Norwich (or thereabouts), so I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any daytrip-worthy shops are recommended!

I would suggest Sew Simple in Taverham, Norfolk. It's about 10 miles north-west of Norwich. They have a lot of fabric, mostly printed cottons. They also have a good selection of ribbons and trims, plus wool, papercraft supplies and other crafty stuff. You'd need at least an hour to look round.
It's in the grounds of a garden centre and there are other shops (I think jewellery, glass, dollhouses and a big cooking shop) there too, plus somewhere for lunch.

For more variety of fabrics I'd recommend Anglian Fashion Fabrics on Magdalen Street in Norwich. They have dressmaking/costume fabrics and everything else you'd need, plus another branch on the other side of the road with gorgeous upholserty and curtain fabrics. I'm pretty sure they're not open on Sundays though, off the top of my head.

I know it's a pretty long drive from Brummieland, but as they're independent shops you might get things you couldn't get elsewhere  Grin

By the way, is a Fancy Silk Store as lovely as it sounds??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hesmywatermelon
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008 08:55:51 AM »

Well, if you don't mind travelling all the way down to London....

Berwick st (central London, westminster), is really the best place to go for quality fabrics. there is at least 10 fabric stores down there, probably more if you wander further afield :-) these tend to be more expensive stores though, and don't sell *much* accessories/haberdashery. For an example store check out this: http://www.clothhouse.com/. So if you don't mind spending a bit more Berwick st is the place to be.

You could make a day/weekend of it and head to Walthamstow market or Shepard's bush market, which is where fashion students tend to go. the fabrics cost less, thats for sure. Personally there is only 2 stores in Shepard's bush, and theres much else around there, so maybe go for walthamstow instead??

Also you could check out VV rouleaux in Marylebone Lane (slone sq) which is positivley yummy, and Peter Jones is practically next to it (john lewis) they are great for all things accessories (sizzors,thread,wool etc etc).

AND (sorry) you could go to Liberty, they do amazing fabric and wool etc, but its not exactly cheap   Cry

hope this helps!  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008 09:05:04 AM by hesmywatermelon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sixtrees
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008 04:35:01 PM »

All of my places are closing down and the rest of them aren't cheap. so I shop online, I find a fabric i like in "real life" then i buy it online, so much cheaper. I've not found a nice big fabric shop at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life itself cannot give you joy
Unless you really will it.
Life just gives you time and space
It's up to you to fill it.
babyjeebus
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 09:13:31 AM »

There's an Abakhan fabric store in Hanley if you fancy visiting Stoke, haven't been since my uni days but it used to have quite a range.

http://www.abakhan.co.uk/stoke.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sixtrees
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 08:30:35 AM »

There's an Abakhan fabric store in Hanley if you fancy visiting Stoke, haven't been since my uni days but it used to have quite a range.

http://www.abakhan.co.uk/stoke.asp

I buy from them but online.. http://www.abakhan-onlineshop.co.uk/ good prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life itself cannot give you joy
Unless you really will it.
Life just gives you time and space
It's up to you to fill it.
madamx
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008 09:23:47 AM »

While living in New York I had an assortment of fabric shops to choose from along 36th-38th street between 7th and 8th avenue.  I also frequented shops along Jamaica Avenue, Queens (I found some real cheap jems there).

Now that I have relocated and am living in North London I have found it hard to find fabric shops with impressive cloths & cheap.  I visited several shops in Central London but the prices were ridiculous.  There is a shop in Wood Green that I visit every now and then just to buy plain cotton (I'm always hoping they would get some decent stock).

I had no choice but to resort to asking my parents to mail swatches from NY and I choose the fabrics then order and have them shipped.  A friend & fellow crafter informed me that the way they do things here is to buy fabrics from markets.  I hate crowds and was not into the idea. Out of sheer desperation, I decided to visit the Walthamstow market today.  To avoid the crowd I left my flat at 9:00am and got there by 11:00pm. It was busy but not stadium packed. I scoped out the entire market from end to end and found several stalls & shops that sold amazing fabrics from .75-6.00 per metre.  Most of the items were going for 1.00-2.00 that seemed to be the more consistent price point. That's crazy! I felt like I was in my element and bought so much fabric I was struggling with bags on the bus (next time will bring a pulley). My new plan of action is to visit the other London markets.

My '' The London Market Guide'' lists the follow markets as a good places to buy fabrics.

Berwick Street & Rupert Street
Brixton Market
Broadway
Chalton Street
Chapel Market
Chrisp Street
Church Street
East Street
Kilburn Square
Leather Lane
Lewisham High Street
Lower Marsh
Nag's Head
Petticoat Lane
Portobello
Queen's Market
Ridley Road
Roman Road
Shepherd's Bush
Walthamstow
Whitechapel
Woolwich Market

Hopes this helps someone.

M.x
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008 09:28:12 AM by madamx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
deaddoll
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009 02:13:44 PM »

I know this is a few months old, but thought I should reply....I used to work in a fabric shop in Birmingham

Barry's Fabrics - Mosely Street, Digbeth
There's also a stall in the rag market (opposite the Fancy Silk store), plus loads of other stalls inside - and Tuesdays outside are also good for fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...