A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,771
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need dress idea for wedding.  (Read 921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
pixelpup2001
« on: May 02, 2008 07:10:16 PM »

Hi everyone.
It's been many years since I've worn a dress and this summer I have a wedding to go to and I'll have a two year old to chase after. Empire waist is what I think only looks good on me.  I have very little sense of style and need help on what to wear. Help. I'd love to go to this event and look complete and good. Any ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008 02:13:33 PM »

Ah, there are so many nice empire-waist styles out there!  Maybe you could give us an idea of what your figure is like or any other considerations - for example: are sleeves required?  Do you want to wear a regular bra or would be willing to wear a strapless one?  What length skirt?  Also, what level would you consider your sewing skills?

Here are a few patterns to consider:
I like these New Look patterns because they give you a lot of style options in one pattern:
New Look 6774 - lots of options for bodices, but I like "I" (V-neck with wide straps in the back) the best, and you could probably wear a regular bra with it
New Look 6750 - another with many bodice options, plus 2 skirts (sheath or flared)
New Look 6375 - fancy neckline options

McCall 5039 - gathered top can be worn on or off the shoulder

Kwik Sew 3151 - V-neck bodices

Anyway, maybe that gives you a couple ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Cinderwench
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008 02:16:08 PM »

It's too bad those "party pants" jumpsuits aren't in style any more. They were a pain in the bathroom, but otherwise they usually had an empire waist, and would be perfect for picking up a two-year-old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008 03:06:18 PM »

Oh, that's another idea - who says you have to wear a dress?  Nice dress pants and a pretty top would definitely be ok.  But if you actually want to wear a dress, go for it. Smiley

You might want to try some things on at a department store to see what you like and what you feel comfortable in.  If that's not feasible, you can at least do some "window shopping" online - a couple of sites I like to visit for inspiration are www.anntaylor.com and www.nordstrom.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixelpup2001
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008 07:17:54 PM »

Yes....I want to wear a dress...I don't get too many opportunities to dress up and look girlie. I'm 5'6, sm chest and waist and lg hips and thighs...oh and I forget about my mommy tummy...lol.

I like  New Look #6774 and McCalls M5039...They don't look too difficult to make.
thanks for your input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008 07:28:14 PM »

I think either of those dresses would be great for you - I'm glad you found a couple you like!  Do you have a particular fabric you want to use?  Be sure and let us know how your dress comes out.   Cheesy  I'm a little jealous since I don't think I have any "dress up" occasions coming up this summer, and there's just something special about making a dress.  I suppose I'll have to make some sundresses. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...