A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,767
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY engagement rings **now complete, with pics!**- PAGE 3  (Read 8538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008 05:39:41 AM »

I was getting increasingly depressed over the price of unique rings until a smart little craftster mentioned Etsy, oh why did I not think of that ages ago?? THe artists on there are great, prices are more than reasonable and just about all of them do custom work.

I would suggest checking them out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
grendelsmom
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008 07:07:38 AM »

Take a metalsmithing class!  If you want something like the photo you should be able to cast it using lost-wax technique, and a class would give you access to the equipment you would need.  Alternately, look up natiux or ars_anima here, they've both done some good work, or PM me and I'll send you a pic of the engagement ring hubby made for me and perhaps he'll do yours (we're US, east coast).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008 07:17:11 AM »

They certainly aren't for the faint of heart! My poor fiance wanted to have my ring hand-made and he went to Etsy with horrid results -> two sellers flaked on him! So he gave up doing the online thing and remembered this jeweler we had both met at a folk festival that I always set up for and this time things went really well. He designed the ring himself and I was really impressed and surprised when he proposed.

My ring is definately unique - It is a silver and copper mokume gane curved band, silver lined, with a polished sphere ruby set bezel style. The wedding band is also mokume in the same style. I wish I had a picture to show...
It looks exactly like this, but with a blood red ruby:

And it is mokume patterned kind of like this:

The greatest thing about is is that when he gave it to me he explained that as time passes the copper will darken and look stronger which he said to him symbolized our relationship getting stronger and more beautiful as time passes... awww.

Anyway hearing about how hard it was for him to deal with someone online, I don't suggest getting something as important as a wedding/engagement ring through an online source, unless you know of someone who has had great success using this vendor. It was extremely stressful for him to have two sellers just flake off on him after weeks of back and forth conversations and price quotes and design planning. The lady who did my ring was someone we met at a craft fair -> hit up local art/crafts/festivals and check out the vendors. I would also check local colleges and see if they offer jeweler classes, there may be a student who is skilled enough to make you what you want! Etsy also has a "shop local" feature which can give you a list of the artisans near you -> you never know, there may be a jeweler in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
mrgrita
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008 07:50:46 AM »

Where are you from?

I am a custom design jeweler in Oregon, but I just moved from the Midwest.  Maybe I can point you towards a friendly and knowledgable face:)  It is quite a bit easier to communicate face to face than over the internet, but, either way, it can be done!
Flame feather is spot on about the recasting of white gold.  I would also add that the jeweler will likely need to add some "new" gold to prevent pitting (bubbles in the casting appearing as tiny holes in the ring).  In yellow gold or silver it's not as much of an issue, but white gold is a challenge in many ways.  It has made me shake my fist at the sky many times.
Rough and rose cut tend to be more difficult to set than most shapes, so expect to pay a bit extra for setting. If they are for certain sapphires, you could dare the cast-in-place method, but you very well may end up with a cracked (if it is heavily included) or different color stone (if it was treated) from the heat.
Anyway, if you have questions feel free to buzz me.
If you just want to search for a custom jeweler in your area, I would suggest asking at Ganoksin.com in the orchid forum.
~margarita

pixieprincess.com if you wanna see my work:)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008 08:46:33 AM »

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about jewelry metal casting. (though I'm fairly decent at soldering- Haha!)

I've known a few who have learned enough through study, trial and error, and/or classes so that they could make their own engagement rings.

My son was living in Peru when he commissioned a jeweler to make an engagement ring of his own design (with its own symbolism), so I know that it can be done, but I don't think you'll have to go so far.

Just because you supply the raw ingredients doesn't mean that you can disregard/discount the artist's work monetarily....try making it yourself, and see how much YOUR efforts are worth.

In short, your thread title is totally appropriate: Not for the faint of heart...

BUT, the collective hearts of all of us at craftster are behind you 110%, and we KNOW that you can overcome any obstacles!!!!!

After finding the right guy, the One, the rest should be Easy Peasy in comparison!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixelpup2001
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008 09:30:35 AM »

When my hubby and I got married, we couldn't afford a store ring with a design on it and we didn't want a band. So I went looking for an artist and found one who worked with gold wire. After a bit of convincing her, she made us our rings. Mine has our birth stones and my hubby's is the same design without the stones.

Something very close to this. This is her work....http://www.theamulet.ca/index.html
Anyway it was a great idea. Everyone who notices my ring wants a closer look and hears the story... Good luck finding your rings....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dem

I love yarn ever so much.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008 01:15:41 PM »

If you are not seriously attached to the sapphires you might want to rethink them.
Sapphires are soft stones. If you wear them everyday they will loose their faceting and become rounded.

They are very pretty stones, and I love them. But they don't make great everyday ring gems.
But if you are okay with the fact that they will wear quickly then I would go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamafox
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008 03:25:46 PM »

Well i guess i didnt realize how lucky we were...
My husband surprized me with a ring he had made using recycled gold from his grandmothers ring and a couple of other things, and the stones from several heirloom rings. He did end up purchasing a couple small stones to even out the ring....
so he used a combination of several different wax molds in order to design the ring he surprised me with and his own. So if someone could make the mold for you... or if you liked a couple of the designs...
and i know it was fairly inexpensive cause that was a major issue as we were both students at the time!
anyway the jeweler is just a central texas place and i couldnt find a website, but the one we used was Pagel's Jeweler in Killeen TX, they are in round rock too, perhaps theyd work with you over the phone.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapine403

Come up to the lab and see what's on the slab

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008 03:39:34 PM »

I didn't go through the posts, so don't know if this was suggested - is there an art college with a jewelry program near you?  You could see if there are any students that have a few years behind them, or even ones that have already graduated.  Or, you could talk one of them into doing it for their final project...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogordie
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008 04:44:25 PM »

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

I emailed Joy Raskin--she makes beautiful work!  Maybe she'll be a good match.

I am hopeful about the goldsmiths who will recycle the gold.  Most have a policy that they'll do it for an additional 200 (or some similar figure) because of the complicated issues that were addressed.  I've never heard of having to add more raw gold (maybe some other materials and maybe after filtering out impurities) but I didn't know that was an issue. 

I love the idea of making it ourselves (even if we just did the wax).  How do stones factor in after the wax is created?  That may be out of our league at this point..but I love the husband that just ebay and libraried his way through the process. That is great and really sounds like my fiance! 

I thought that sapphires were an ideal everyday stone because they are one of the hardest (second to diamonds).  That was actually why we went with them because my first choice of stone was only a "6" on the hardness scale and we realized that sapphires, at a "9" would be more durable.  I just can't bring myself to buy a diamond...

Thanks again for all the great feedback!  I'll keep everyone posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...