A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
178 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1959 Shirtwaist Dress, sizing issues Help! *img heavy*  (Read 1603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
chibi muse
« on: April 29, 2008 04:21:38 PM »

I found this adorable vintage 1959 shirtwaist dress pattern, at a thirft store: McCalls 4948

And the size looked exactly right, from the measurements listed. I started a muslin, because these vintage patterns are always tricky size-wise.

I altered the pattern because the original has TWO zippers! WHY? I eliminated the front zipper thinking buttons would be much cuter and easier, and got rid of the side zipper by using elastic to gather the sides instead of sewing them permanently. Tada, it's now a super easy pull-on dress!

But... When I put it on it is huge in the bust and not anywhere near as cute as the picture. It easily fits onto my G-cup dress dummy, and I'm only an A-cup!

I'm pretty good at sizing up and down when everything doesn't fit, or in the waist, but this is mostly in the bust and the shape is tricky because of the collar.

Can anyone help me with how to alter this so it fits better?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008 04:57:49 PM »

You didn't put in the darts, there are waist and bust darts in front and waist darts in back. Granted it's still too big, but it will be a lot more tailored with them. I'd put in the darts first, then take in the sides a bit.
chibi muse
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008 05:33:58 PM »

The bust darts are in, just not visible in these photos because they are so far to the side, and I double checked the pattern just now, there are no darts marked on the waist of pattern, just the gathers.

here's a side view on the dummy where you can see the bust darts:

thanks for your help anyways!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008 06:39:27 PM »

Ah, fair enough, the line drawings really looked like darts at the waist.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008 07:42:24 PM »

On the pattern envelope they use a big wide belt. Those are pretty easy to get ahold of in reguular shops these days. Otherwise, you could sew together a couple pieces of extra wide elastic and add snaps for closures. What about making an extra short corset to go on top?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 11:27:17 AM »

I second the belt.  Belt and some ironing would definitely fix it.  Most of the vintage patterns I have use belts with them and once you make them, you can tell they depended on that.

Visit my Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Quilted Scissors Cozy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Brigaderios

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.