A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
126 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Goldfish need crafty love too!  (Read 4571 times)
Tags for this thread: fish_bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 24, 2008 10:51:42 PM »

I got two goldfish for my birthday last month and since then Ive been goldfish mad  Cheesy I cant help but buy them stuff. Today I got a bigger tank. Its an old glass one and its waaay bigger than what they had (I wont tell you how big the old one is or the goldfish police will take them away  Cry , the pet shop assured us it was big enough, but I doubt it) but sadly the new one doesnt have a lid. No biggy normally but we have cats!
So I spent the afternoon brainstorming, I could buy a plastic lid that clips on or get a glazier out to make me a glass one, then I had the idea of making one!
So here it is. A roll of duck tape and bamboo for the frame and then a rubbish bag taped over the top  Grin kind of pretty and very practical.
If any fish lovers out there have a better idea feel free to let me know (yes I know the tank is sparse, Ive just moved them from the old tank which was less than half the size)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 11:31:40 PM »

Hurray for goldfish!  I got my goldfish, Pigpen, for ten cents.  He was smaller than my thumb and now he is over 8 inched long!  I would highly recommend a live plant call goldfish grass.  Pigpen is crazy for the stuff!  He hides in it and eats it too.  Great job making a lid for your tank, your fish will thank you too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
bubblegum_phoenix

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008 12:03:47 AM »

Ohh that grass sounds good, Ive got to get some more stones too  Roll Eyes worked out the old tank could fit in the new one 3x lol, feel kinda mean. First thing they did in the new tank was poop  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes goldfish love I suppose.
The lids been good so far, blocks direct light out and my partner hasnt managed to drop his keys in the tank. I taped it to the back of the tank  Cheesy so its stuck on there. 10c? Jeez, I paid (well it was a gift voucher) $6 a fish!
Sucks we cant craft much stuff for goldfish
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008 12:58:01 AM »

If you have a saw, a wooden lid wouldn't be very hard to make.. or course that won't help with the light.

Congrats on getting them a bigger tank though. Goldfish are big polluters and need a lot of room to... not die.

I only have a couple suggestions for you.

1. you should try to find a better filter (they really are big polluters)
2. if you need some natural looking gravel home depot sell large bags of pebbles for less than $5 (it was enough for my 50gal)
3. If you wanna be crafty get some aquarium sealant, some rocks, and make a bunch of little caves for your fishys... and if you want to make some decor yourself just grab some clay at the craft store and get it fired up at your local pottery store.

Also, if you are really ambitious http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_aquarium_background.php

If you ever need some fish care advice check out fishlore.com
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008 01:05:55 AM by gammerus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubblegum_phoenix

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 02:38:46 AM »

lol, yea the filter is the first thing on my list to get on Monday, today was a public holiday so everything was shut and yep, they are pretty big grubs, and people say fish are easy pets  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 04:07:30 AM »

I have an aquarium, I didn't have a lid for it, it was given to me.  So my boyfriend works in a sign shop, so they have scraps of plexi glass(actually plastic) lying around it is the clear kind so the light can go through, he cut me a peice to fit around my filter and heater and stuff with an electirc saw.  So if you had a sign shop around you could call and ask if they have any free scraps or ask how much a piece would be for the size of your tank.  Or i'm sure you could buy a new lid, if you had the money.  I think you can buy them, not sure about the cost.  I figured they would be too much for me so I got a piece of plexi glass it was free.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 07:42:17 AM »

Don't forget! Fish need air too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008 08:23:55 AM »

Gammerus- those are awesome fish tank backgrounds you linked.  Too bad I am not that motivated.

I don't know that I would make a wooden top unless it was sealed with something so that it doesn't rot.. the tops collect a lot of moisture.

Bubblegum phoenix- I know it's unrelated to the actual creation, but good job with the fish! The tank size looks good for now and you will probably have a few years before they really outgrow it (did you know goldfish can live to be 30?). You might want to poke some holes in the top you made though, unless you already left an open area for air circulation.   And another tip for when you are filter shopping- I always buy filters that are for a larger capacity than the tank size.  With as dirty as goldfish are, and as lazy as I am about regular cleaning, it's really helped.   

You paid $6 each for those fish?? You got ripped off.  I have a couple that were the last living in a feeder tank that someone pitied and paid 23 cents for.  And of course, I ended up with them because I am the Goldfish Police.

Also, I think someone already mentioned it, but if you have access to clay and a kiln, someone around my area makes some really cool tank decorations and I got some for sale at the pet store.  They kind of look like jagged clay ropes attatched to each other to form a mountain shape, but there are lots of holes in it for swimming through.  I could take a picture if anyone is interested. I thought it was a really cool idea, but I'm not sure what precautions you would have to take with the clay to make it suitable to live underwater and not pollute the tank.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008 08:28:04 AM by CamOovas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubblegum_phoenix

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008 01:56:33 PM »

lol, Its not quite fitted on there snugly plus I haf an airpump filter, they havent been gasping yet but Im keeping an eye out.  Theres no wood visable, Ive covered it all with the rubbish bag (and duct tape) and because everything I used is stuff I found at home when it needs replacing I can  Cheesy
I agree, awesome backgrounds, I was stunned when I saw it.
Yea fish live for ages, hence the new tank. 30cm long I think I read somewhere.
Sadly fish for the amount I paid is pretty normal, I live in NZ so maybe thats why.
The fish love the new tank and Im pretty happy with the lid, it  keeps the cats out and stops the light (directly over the tank) from getting in.
Thanks for the comments everyone, Im glad theres a fishy craft here that (so far) the fishy police hasnt smacked down on  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008 07:47:34 PM »

Sadly fish for the amount I paid is pretty normal, I live in NZ so maybe thats why.

Actually, I have to say I like that.  That means that probably where you are the life of a fish is more valued than around here.  I would be very happy if people had to pay that much for a fish, maybe then they wouldn't be so dispensable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...