A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing HELP! (smock top pattern)  (Read 626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 24, 2008 01:57:27 PM »

Hi i'm making up my own pattern using a kinda smockish top that i like as my source. I've made a little pattern of the top part which is lined, thing is i can't tell if it's an outer fabric and and lining sewn good sides together and turned insideout or good sides together with the seam allowance tucked under and top stiched down.

Burda style have a top something similar but since i can't follow pattern instructions, it's the tiny little top part, i just down't get how to produce a really finished look to it.
http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/33

Any help? please?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 05:45:01 AM by kategirl - Reason: added a more descriptive title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 03:01:56 PM »

It's hard to say since I don't know exactly what you're making.  Having said that, however, I would imagine that the piece is sewed right sides together and turned.  What you need to do after sewing it carefully (especially around the curves) is to clip your seams around all of the curves.  Get a really sharp pair of scissors and clip as close as you can to the stitching (without clipping the stitching, of course) about every 1/2 inch or so.  If you have sharp corners, then cut diagonally across the corner to take some of the bulky fabric out of the corner when it's turned.  It's possible that you'll need to trim down your seam allowances or grade them (cut one side smaller than the other), but that's not always necessary.  When you're finished clipping and turning, give your garment a really good press with your iron.  Make sure that your curves and corners look great.  After that, topstitch very closely to the edges all around the top of the smock.  That should give you a professional look.  I will admit that I'm certainly not a professional, though, so I hope someone else will join this discussion to correct any mistakes I might have made.   Smiley  Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008 04:30:51 PM »

Thank you for that bit of advice about clipping corners and curves, always thought mines looked 'funny'!

my original sketch.

The top part is the bit i'm trying to make, i know how to do the bottom part.

What i came up with, the pieces fit me well but i just don't have a clue how to put the lining on to it!!!
They i've sewn it in this picture is totally wrong as the hole part just got stuck in the little tube made for the strap.

I really hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008 07:24:33 PM »

I hope this comes across well because it is said with the kindest of intent: would you be opposed to getting the pattern you want to make (or something similar) & giving us the instruction segments that trouble you for decoding and explanation?
Yes, I know what you want to do, I've done several. But I couldn't explain it without breaking out a pattern & copying down the instructions as they write them- which is really the problem you are having, if I am correct?

Pattern making isn't easy, matter of fact it's pretty hard, and I've been sewing and using patterns for nearly 30 years. Copying existing things are easy when you can take them apart, but if you can't/ don't want to disassemble, you are pretty much working from scratch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 12:02:51 AM »

I found a "how to" for the all-in-one facing on Burdastyle.com http://www.burdastyle.com/howto/show/93
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 09:00:57 AM »

Hi,
Penlowe thanks for the idea but being a poor student i really can't afford patterns which is why i tried my own frst. I get what your saying and that will be great for future makes.

Kookaloo_Starr thanks for the burda link, i never would have found that since i don't know what i'm trying to do is called. I have started but i'm totally stumped at stage 5, with the whole strap inside out thingy

I reall don't want to come across stupid but i really don't understand how to do the next steps, i normally learn by someone showing me and in this case the pictures in the tutorial don't really help!!!

Thanks for your help so far Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008 12:13:31 PM »

This is what i finaly came up with, with lots of trial and error!

Thanks for all your help
Fee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008 03:36:17 PM »

super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...