A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbies Only Swap Round 9 ( Partners Posted; Send Outs 05/22)  (Read 61635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kreestar
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2008 12:30:32 PM »

here's my twice-weekly check-in Smiley

1 large item done (missing some decoration), 1 small in progress, 2 small still on the drawing board, but a couple of options up my sleevies.

I have got my work cut out for me.

i read this a few posts back and thought that that would be nice.  i think my problem is i'm cutting out my work for myself  Grin

pixelpup mentioned one of her small items becoming a whopper.  my first was meant to be big in size and smallish in effort has turned into a... um... shall we say original piece.  it definitely has personality.  just got to find out whether it's an agreeable personality. 

some things i've learnt so far (don't worry KWK, this isn't a spoiler, most of my starters won't make it out my front door, unless in a bin liner  Grin):

• nothing chews up satin quicker than a too-tight zig-zag stitch on its edge
  • bobbins are little bastards
  • irons are hot
  • don't use cheap cotton-thread to sew with.  it will make you angrier than you want to be
  • timewise, preparation > assembly
  • it'll never only take 15 minutes
  • the internet can teach you many things
  • if your finished project blows, pretend it's the effect you were going for
  • basting is the same as tacking (i hope)
  • topstitch is a very public stitch indeed
  • material/fabric shops have superlatively helpful people and dragons.  nothing in between
  • make sure the sewing machine needle is up before yanking your easy-to-tear fabric from it.
  • it is quite easy to accidentally sew things together that shouldn't go together, but it's also loads of fun to RIP RIP RIP it apart again
  • overlookers are looking worth the expense!
  • the threading instructions on a sewing machine aren't just suggestions
  • when the instructions say "press" (iron), you can sometimes get away with just "pressing"  Grin
  • measurements are good to stick to
that's my update for now.  got to look up how to do something on the web now and by google, i'd better find it!  happy crafting all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
avari20
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2008 12:54:08 PM »

Kreestar, I have one thing to say to your list--AMEN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ava
http://www.wists.com/avari20

Will trade yarn for jewelry supplies! PM me if you're interested!
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2008 01:40:52 PM »

oh man
I think I have the greatest partner ever!

now Im thinking I better think up sometihng crazy awesome for her

<3 kreestar Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
summerluvin_ca
« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2008 03:01:46 PM »

kreestar- I love the list! It's like the 10 commandments of crafting or more like 17! hehe

Much like ambiguous miss I will be needing the full days available. Payday issues as well.

i can't be so bold as to hand deliver the package. Pinkie might get a little freaked out if I did that!

Mandy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/summerluvin_ca          I WIST!

http://bitsandpiecestoo.blogspot.com     MY WEDDING BLOG
DeannaLynn06

Cup o Noodles it is, crafting costs too much!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #414 on: May 10, 2008 05:43:45 PM »

Kreestar I love your list I may just add to it and post it in my craft room if that is ok with you. It might make me chuckle when I break one of those rules!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solipsist87

I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: May 10, 2008 06:07:18 PM »

kreestar your list hilarious (and oh so true), and if I may be so bold to add one of my own, glue = friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!
-Bob Marley
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #416 on: May 10, 2008 08:42:55 PM »

Baha!  Great list. 

I will also likely be needing all the available days to craft.  Paydays and available working days are issues here.  It's tough to get crafting done working around my daughter's schedule.  But my brain is always working on my patterns.  That might be good, that might be bad.

On the plus side, my husband just gave me a gift card to Joann Etc. for Mother's Day!  Hurray for being a mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2008 01:47:22 AM »

• timewise, preparation > assembly
  • it'll never only take 15 minutes
  • the internet can teach you many things
  • material/fabric shops have superlatively helpful people and dragons.  nothing in between
  • measurements are good to stick to

I totally agree and empathise with all of these!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
pixelpup2001
« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2008 05:03:54 AM »

WOW...Kreestar....sounds like you had quite a week...good thing the week is over.
I'm glad to report that I'm almost finished my first project. I worked at it late last night while the monkey slept. I even asked my hubby about where some of the decorations should go on it and his responce was why wasn't i making one for him.....I'm thinking 14 years with this guy and I just learned that he likes ----- (edited so Karaoke doesn't get any clues). I guess it's good that father's day is coming up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparky1982

~willing to try anything once~

« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2008 05:17:06 AM »

Just checking in...almost done just got to run to the shop tomorrow to buy some more thread, I am also definately having confidence issues, I really hop DanniQueen is happy Undecided

Hope everyone is having tonnes of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...