A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
185 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Science IS Art! swap gallery  (Read 49662 times)
Tags for this thread: science  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008 11:50:52 AM »

Thank you, you're very kind. I read the Australian Customs/Postal site for banned items, and I believed I was within the guidelines. I was wrong and now I've short-changed Piaochong as a result.
I guess the lesson is "when in doubt, ask...then ask someone else, too". Our post office workers saw the items and reviewed their info, and they also felt I was within guidelines. I will concede that the Guatemalen worry bean was a bad idea - I overlooked it completely because the little bag was so darned cute - and they were right to grab it. But the bird's nest? I used E6000 to stick it on there, and it is ON THERE. And the necklace was held by a single stitch, for presentation and shipping purposes - it is NOT permanently attached by anyone's definition.
I guess I'm really sad because I wanted it to be so pretty when she opened the box.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lera-star
what you really wanna know about Lera yupyup

if all craft is art, dose that make all art craft?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008 01:28:17 PM »

you know that sucks. they should have just taken off the necklace for her. arg...it's soooo shiny. and pretty. and....personally it seems to me that the next was stuck up on of there bums
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008 05:29:53 PM »

AlternaWidget- You put together a beautiful package! It's such a bummer that parts of it were confiscated (I can understand their concerns in terms of invasives species, however- some plants can regenerate from fragments of the plant, so unless the bird's nest was plastic, it would be unknown plant matter...which totally, totally sucks!), but hopefully the awesome dodecahedron can be reclaimed!!

I received my package from the_trademarks today, and I am totally bummed that I couldn't have sent her package out at the same time. I am going to be waiting on the doorstep of the sewing machine repair shop first thing tomorrow...because if he can fix it quickly, I could actually make the PO by tomorrow afternoon...I am that close to finishing!!

So, let me just say, whoever said that nice things come in small packages wasn't entirely accurate...FANTASTIC things come in small packages!

I am totally into geeky science jewlery, and my partner came through big time!

I don't have any good close-ups...I can try later if anyone wants, but they came out all blurry, even with the macro setting (where is that darn camera instruction manual??). So, a group shot will have to do, unfortunately!

The green earrings are made with triangular and hexagonal tree agate, with round lodolite beads. The other pair is made with rose quartz and bleached mother of pearl. Just beautiful!!

In the middle are two resin on wood pendants- a brain and a cool image that is actually a picture of coagulation. I just love the subtle geekiness of it!

Above that is a cartoon from a 1972 issue of Science World magazine Wink

And finally, two fused glass pieces with dichroic glass in them. One of them even has a small painted glass flask in it!

She included a letter typed on an actual typewriter to explain what everything is. I love it all!!!

Thanks so much, Jasmine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
bigfatroses
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008 05:35:05 PM »

Beautiful jewelry! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008 05:59:38 PM »

those are beautiful, would love to see them a bit closer up, but i completely understand camera problems!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008 06:04:15 PM »

Gorgeous jewelry!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008 06:19:09 PM »

those are beautiful, would love to see them a bit closer up, but i completely understand camera problems!

Well, I can post the pics I have, but bear in mind that any flaws in the images are the fault of the photographer, not my awesome partner!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008 07:12:40 PM »

a) i see no flaws  Smiley and b) now they're wistable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
hannahkarina
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008 08:04:49 PM »

This is such a neat thread, the scientific part of art is lovely and this is proof!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piaochong
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008 11:55:06 PM »

well i was very sad to only recieve half of the items that AlternaWidget sent to me, but i will endevour to try and rescue the box from certain destruction! i shouldnt think they will destroy the gorgeous outside of it, however, i am very happy with what i did get! and i have uploaded these pictures to show you how awesome a swap partner AlternaWidget is!

the earrings are in the one above, but you cant see them very well, my camera would not take any good photos! but look at that awesome egyptian/ reed fabric headband!

Here you can see the three beautiful notecards i got, one has a lyrebird on it, the other a spider and bird(the bird looks hungry) and the last one has a beautiful sea horse on it! they all came with envelopes too. (also if you look in the corner you can see whats left of a zip lock bag about a quarter full of chocolate rocks, it has seriously, ten left in it! haha

and two beautiful paper cranes, made from washi paper i presume?! they are wonderfully soft, i love the textures!

even though i didnt get all of Alternawidgets package, im very happy with what i did get. its all beautiful, thank you very much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...