A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,640
Currently Running With Scissors:
249 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two dresses from reconstructed materials (TOO MANY IMAGES!)  (Read 3987 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

isqueak
Knitter, Writer, Book-Artist and much, much more.

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008 08:32:59 PM »

So I've been meaning to post my finished creations, I swear I have. I blame Ravelry.com for sucking up all of my time. But these are two sewing projects I've completed lately. Both of them would look a lot better, and would have taken a lot less time had two very vital parts of my sewing machine not snapped off due to "act of cat".

Dress number one was for a fashion show held by a local thrift store, Re-Use Industries. The show was dubbed "Project ReUse", in honor of Project Runway. We were given a ten dollar gift certificate to use at any of their local thrift stores. We had three weeks to come up with an outfit using only those materials. I chose to make an outfit I dub "Librarian Zombie Killer".  Sort of steampunk, sort of oddball. Mostly me.

It was made from a fitted sheet (the pink parts of the skirt), a tie-dye t-shirt (the green bits) and a men's 2XL work shirt (the blue bits). The choker was made from a child's paisley print belt, and the flower pin was taken off of a particularly hideous purse.

It looks so "scattered" because I was originally going to have my sister-in-law model it for me. She backed out the NIGHT BEFORE the fashion show due to health issues. Considering I had the outfit made, and the original outfit was MUCH different, it was a real challenge. She's about 10 sizes smaller than me (I'm an 18/20, she's an 8/10), I had to do some heavy modifying. A reconstruct of an already reconstructed garment. Hmm. I was very pleased with the results, although I didn't win anything, I did stay true to myself.

Here's a particularly un-flattering action shot of it on the runway:

The skirt had a lot of movement to it, which I liked. I regret not getting pictures of the back, though, because there was this awesome bustle effect going on. Nevertheless, here's another action shot of it on the runway:

Now comes the point where I must apologize for all the unflattering photos to come - It's late, I just finished this dress, and I just wanted to get it documented before I decided to STAB IT.

Dress Number Two is a quick, last minute dress I threw together for my grandmother-in-law's wedding tomorrow. It was made out of two bed sheets, a black and white striped one, and a red one. The striped one was pretty ratty and faded, so it didn't make for an AWESOME finished product, like I had hoped.

I'm not thrilled with how the bust turned out. Had I not been lazy, I would have utilized darts. But I just wanted to get the damn thing finished. The bodice construction, you'll note, is fairly similar to Dress Number One. It's simple, it's easy, and it's something I know looks semi-ok on my figure. I am, however, very pleased with the skirt, both the length, where it hits, and how it drapes.

I'm just concerned about "popping out" too much during the ceremony. As you can see, I made the cups of the halter a wee bit too tiny for my own liking. My husband assures me it looks fine, but photographic evidence shows otherwise.

Any questions, comments, concerns, tips, hints, bitches or gripes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanna
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 12:30:21 AM »

first the first dress, i think its great, very artistic but wearable.

only I think that the neck thing is tying up a bit, it doesnt give the dress that what it gives without it. But that's only my meaning. I just think it's a little bit to much and keeps the eye of the dress wich is just fantastic with all that pieces of fibre, maybe it an idea to do the belt idea where it belongs, like some sort of loose belt that flows with the top of the skirt to get some accentuated thing in the dress. (its acutally a skirt and a top i see now but well that doesnt matter for the description)
edit two minutes later: a belt wouldnt be necessary at all actually, but it was just an idea

the second dress i have nothing much to wine or bitch about Wink its just a great summer dress right. Keep on rocking girl!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008 07:58:35 AM by tot-n-met-t-bot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
supercake
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 07:51:09 AM »

I have a hard time getting full coverage from my halter tops as well. I am lazy and impatient. So my only solution is to wear a bikini top underneath that matches. voila full boob coverage Cheesy
I love love love both designs! I might lose the choker, because the dress has soooo much going on I think it's too much. Other than that tho I think it is absolutely fantastic!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...