A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,252
Currently Running With Scissors:
222 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is $69.99 a good deal for Zig Pens??  (Read 2040 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

MegHall
« on: January 28, 2005 08:42:54 AM »

I'm gathering supplies for scrapbooking, and Joann's online  is having a sale on a "Zig Memory System Scrapbook 48 piece pen set".  It's going for $69.99.   Is this a good deal?  They say the regular price is $119.99.  I've never priced them before, so I have no idea.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005 08:50:07 AM »

I bought the ones that have double tips at AC Moore a few years ago, they were $50.00 after using a 50% off coupon. For some unknown reason, I never ended up using them as much as I thought I would. They are great pens though, just make sure you really need them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kendaljay

Funny, she looks smaller from outside her head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005 07:43:26 PM »

i have nearly all the colors of the zig double tips, and i love them!  i've  bought them a couple at a time though, i wish i had gotten the set on sale.  that sounds like a really good price, about $1.50 each.  if you do a lot of journaling or drawing, or lettering techniques, they're awesome.........but yeah make sure you'll use them!  also, make sure the set doesn't have a whole lot of multiples of one color.  i know joann's and michael's have the sets that say you get sooo many markers, but it's really like 3 of each color.  you might also consider waiting until one of them has their "50% off one item" in the ads (don't know if you are needing to order off the internet or not) and just go buy it in the store so you can look at it. either way, i think it's a good deal.....so good luck! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you say words a lot they don't mean anything. Or maybe they don't mean anything anyway, and we just think they do.---Delirium

www.makeitcute.etsy.com
ladykluck
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005 08:03:15 PM »

i've been addicted to paper crafts (in addition to other things) for several years, and I have also done quite a bit of work in this industry.

that being said....

the ZIG pens are great, and i've very seldom had any either in my own stash or in the stores i've worked returned for poor quality (not the case with all pens).   here's the thing: how much lettering are you planning on doing?  if you want to be a lettering genius/master, by all means, buy all the pens -the set is a fantastic deal.  i have a ton of them, in all teh different tips you can buy, and i do lots of my own lettering.  what i wish i had known is that i really only use a few colors consistently: black, chocolate brown, steel grey, platinum, sometimes the rose color, and my favorites for decorating envelopes: spring green and blue jay.  maybe a couple of others.  sold separately, the pens cost somewhere around $3.  there are a couple of different memory system sets: one has about sixteen colors in three different pen styles (calligraphy w/ 2 sizes calligraphy tips, writer w/ 2 bullet-type tips, and scroll/brush which has a scroll tip and a brush tip) and one has 48 colors in writer tips only.  the other catch is that there are a couple of different collections of pens: a color set that came first and then another color set that came later on.  altogether, about 100  colors in the whole collection, maybe more.  and, of course, not all the good colors are in one set.  in about 7 years of scrapbooking, i've used one brush tip pen ONCE in a scrapbook.  i mostly use writers, and  i haven't gotten the hang of calligraphy yet- probably never will.

all that to say: if you are just starting to gather supplies, buy a few basic colors and leave the set on the shelf and your money in your pocket.  the trend these days in scrapbooking is using computer fonts, and should you do your own journaling, you'll really only need a few colors.  spend your money on something else: a great paper trimmer, fun embellshments, albums that won't fall apart after a year.  i echo ilovepaper: make sure you really need them before you buy the pens.

i hope this gives you a little more information - it's a bit long and i've gotten a bit carried away.  (can you tell i've done this for a long time?)  happy shopping and scrapbooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinkerbell210
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005 02:03:36 AM »

Are Zig Pens available in the UK??? x x x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in fairies...so should you! x
ladykluck
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005 08:11:58 PM »

i never found any zig pens in the UK - and i looked about a bit.  i was there about 4 years ago, and i think scrapbooking has gained some ground since then.  I know that there are a few scrapbook stores in the UK - a couple are listed on this website.
http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/scrap/locator/

Zig pens are distributed by a company called ek success based in New Jersey.  i'm pretty sure that they have a website that might gve you a bit more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justimagine
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005 07:15:35 AM »

I bought the Zig pens in a set about a year ago.  I think they cost me about $60.00 (happy birthday to myself) after my 40% off discount. 

I have to say, I would never give them back!  I do my own journalling, and although I also use the same colors (black, navy, etc.) over and over, there is no replacement for the times when I feel like I need another color. 

I would have spent way more if I would have bought them one by one. If you are like I am, I want options when I work.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...