A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
280 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 4/11/2008  (Read 5575 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
LizzieMcGuire

loves knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008 09:09:35 AM »

Lovely yarns as ever! I love Fiber Friday!  Smiley My favourite is mustard seed so far, I love the different browns together.

Here is what I've spun in the last few weeks:

It's 100% merino, handcarded. That's why it is a bit uneven, I'm still not very good in making roving out of a batt, but it's getting better!  Grin

This is my biggest spinning project so far, all four skeins together are 613m/312g. I'm planning to make a vest or something like that out of this yarn.

Here is a close up:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008 10:47:05 AM »

I've been so busy, I haven't been able to do much.  I really love grunge princess.  It's so fun!

I dyed some silk hankies:

Then I spun some up (not pictured in the one above):

It's a really fine laceweight, and I'm going to ply it with another spun hankie single to make a silk laceweight.

One finished yarn this week.  It's BFL plied with an unspun white silk hankie with wraps and knots throughout.  I call it coccons.  Worsted Weight. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
Blue_Frog
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008 11:02:28 AM »

Ah everything is so beautiful as always!  Cheesy

I didn't manage to get any spinning done this week, too much prep work for the fibre committee for the Alpaca show this weekend - hopefully something for next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftycavy

Sammy 2006-2009

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008 01:05:46 PM »

Everyone's yarns are spectacular!
I'm a new spinner and I like trying out different fibers. I spun something different this week..dog fur!
100% Pomeranian coutesy of my dogs Cinnamon and Gizmo.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2405491689_f4f7e2d2f0.jpg?v=0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 11:37:27 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wheeek! wheeeek! add me on ravelry: craftycavy
Marlana
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008 02:35:41 PM »

The yarn this week are so pretty that I can't even pick favorites.  You all never cease to amaze me with the lovliness!

I haven't had time to spin in over two weeks, so I just have one yarn.  I call it Fruit Salad, it's a superwash wool, Navajo plied, fingering weight sock yarn.  It's so squishy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008 04:36:45 PM »

I'm absolutely wild about Dark Trembolina, spun from roving of the same name dyed by HollyEqq. I have a second skein of this fulled single, and I'm using it to knit up a (very bright) cropped cardi. I think the original roving was 100g, and I got tons and tons of yardage out of it. It's lofty yet strong due to the fulling. I only fulled it lightly, dipping it in hot water and stirring a bit.

Next, I have a tussah silk single. It was spun from 2 oz of roving that I dyed with food coloring. It's weird to me because it's pastels, but I have people over in Shop the Swap drooling just from the description. It has a nice drape and sheen, like all silk handspun. I think it will make a nice textured lace something-or-other. It's named Easter Sunday because of the pastels, and because it's so conservative!

Finally, this one is from weeks ago, but I never got around to posting it. It's some I spun up for practice navajo plying from brown wool that came with my wheel, and because my husband wanted a plain boring yarn for a hat.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

isamax
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008 05:40:06 PM »

Well done everyone!  So many FUN yarns.  I am a huge fan of Busy Bees especially  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008 08:37:57 PM »

here's my one skein "choco-banano" it's hand dyed romney carded with alpaca and sparkles.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008 09:31:41 PM by the noodle princess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008 09:52:54 PM »

Happy Fiber Friday!  I think my faves so far are Lilacs in Bloom, Heart of Steel & Grunge Princess!

I had a more productive week for a change Smiley Spun up a few of my hand-dyed wools & played with my hand carders a little bit. I'm thinking about getting a drum carder for my birthday present in June if I can get everyone to give me $ towards it. (Mmmmm... that Pat Green Supercard of Steph's in feralfeminine's post looks divine! I'm jealous too) I'm thinking that a Strauch Petite is more in my price range tho (and storage size).
Congrats on the house Jazzturtle!!!

My yarns for the week:

I finished spinning my "Violent Violet" wilton's dyed superwash merino and 2-plyed it.
2 skeins  143yds & 85yds  1.5 oz 

"Green & Black" from my wilton's dyed merino top
72 yds  0.9 oz

"Rainbow" from my wilton's dyed merino top
181 yds  1.1 oz

I made my own niddy noddy with pvc connectors and ends & a wooden dowel.
It makes 7 foot skeins! (they're a little big)

Confetti from a mini batt from Loop
I love her stuff! I got more in the mail this week from her, it all looks amazing.
50 yds  0.65 oz  First time spinning from a batt

Dreams of Sparkle
It is really hard to see in this picture, but I hand carded (my first) angelina into blue-green corriedale and sapphire merino top.
Next time I'm going to use a LOT more!
66 yds 0.55 oz

Foliage
Hand carded dark teal superwash merino, sunshine merino & honey tussah silk
57 yds  0.45 oz

My spinning has gotten pretty thin (and at times way too thin).  I hope I can get it back to being thicker if I think about it and try hard to remember while I'm spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachymanaangel
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008 02:29:14 AM »

wow what beautiful yarns everyone!

Marlana i love the rich color of your reds sock yarn. It is absolutely nummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...