A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,815
Currently Running With Scissors:
274 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warning: Noob Question: Stitch Markers?  (Read 2661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sunnydays914
« on: April 09, 2008 08:24:52 AM »

Hi All

I'm teaching myself to crochet and the pattern I'm using calls for stitch markers. What in the world are they? How do I use them? I've never made anything more complicated than a rectangle so the use of stitch markers completely eludes me.

Thanks! I can't wait to share the market bag I'm making with you!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008 09:18:29 AM by sunnydays914 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachingjonah
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008 08:35:00 AM »

Stitch markers are anything you can put at the end of a row or a round to keep your stitch count right.  I usually just use a spare piece of yarn, but a safety pin works really well and it doesn't fall out.  Just put the safety pin through the last stitch of your round(row) and move it up as you work.  You can buy specialty stitch markers, but you don't have too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! [email protected]

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008 08:37:28 AM »

for  fancier  stuff if oyu jsut  really wanna spend  money 
do a search on joannfabrics.com and you can see what they look like.   they are  little hooks that you use to mark where you have counted your stitches or where you will have to do something on teh way back around that area.   make note the KNITTING and  crochet ones are different tho. the crochet ones can open easily.
you can also search on here and see lots of examples that people have  made and swapped and all that  fun stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Shinykatie

Professional dork

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008 09:15:36 AM »

I use an old hoop earring to mark my stitches. Just a small one - works perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dork Adore http://www.dorkadore.com | Lovely things for geeks: Crafts, Geekery, Gadgets, Homewares, Kids' stuff, TV, Film

* My craft blog: http://katielee.co.uk
www.twitter.com/shinykatie
MoonCobress
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008 11:53:31 AM »

When I needed stitch markers, my mother also recommended safety pins.  They work well, and they're easy to have pinned to your project bag where they don't get misplaced when you don't need them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008 02:43:14 PM »

I use plastic coated paper clips - I unfold them a bit and hang them where I need them - I like to be able to see my mark from both sides of the crochet (long story) I'll take a pic if you are interested.

I used to use a piece of yarn, knotted on one side to help it from falling out as often...
graduated to paper clips.  I have had a few fancier ones made for me and have had various results - I don't like the dangly bits. They just get in my way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
LadyNole08
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008 02:57:35 PM »

This is a bad, bad, bad marker but I use a little tape to mark my stitch. Call me lazy to go and grab even a bobby pin...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.glamorfabulosa.com - coming soon
http://www.florida-gyrl.net - Blog and more...

WIPs:

3 bikinis
Hat with earflaps

Finished:
A beanie for my roommate (finished pic coming soon)
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008 09:13:08 AM »

I know that a lot of people use lobster claw clasps to make their fancier stitch markers.  I find that just a plain ol' lobster claw clasp from a jewelry kit or something works really well, it has nothing dangling off it to get in the way, but it is easy to use, secure because it closes, and fairly cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
Becky G
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008 09:13:47 PM »

I just use a piece of yarn, about 6 or 8 inches and pull it back and forth over my last stitch of each round. I can see if my rounds are coming out right by the slant of the yarn too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horizonpurple
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008 10:54:38 PM »

I use an old hoop earring to mark my stitches. Just a small one - works perfectly!

I have commercial ones, but having read this I tried it and it actually works a LOT better - no pulls or snags. Thanks for the tip Shinykatie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dessert Tray
October 9, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sugar Lip Scrub

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...