A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to crochet: question on holding the yarn  (Read 3171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
WillowFae
« on: April 07, 2008 11:42:10 AM »

Hi.  I'm new to crochet, having previously only knitted.  I bought the SNB Happy Hooker book and have been following the instructions in that, including how to hold the yarn in your left hand.

Now I get that the index finger is supposed to (according to the book anyway) point out towards the hook, holding the yarn out straight.  I find that it starts fine like that but very soon ends up being used to hold my work (between the finger and thumb) and pull it taught make it easier to insert the hook into the stitch.  This means that I end up with an aching finger. Sad

Anyone got any advice on how I should be doing this, including how to hold my work so that I can insert the hook?  I realise that there is no hard and fast rule, but some tips would be useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ademareej
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008 03:17:50 PM »

I have my working yarn going over my left pinkie, under my ring and middle, and back over my pointer.  This helps me give it a little bit more tension, which makes it easier to use - but it also means that if I don't pay attention, I crochet kind of tightly.  I then hold my work with my left hand hand, but leave my pointer finger sticking out (so basically I am holding the work with my thumb, middle, and ring fingers).  It's kind of hard to explain...I'll try to get some pics of it later for you...mainly, I think it is kind of a try things out until it works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecreations

John 3:16 - a life changing message

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008 05:01:04 PM »

I hold it pretty much the same as ademareej. Thats the way I was taught.
So its over the pinky, under the ring and middle then over the index. Then I use the ring finger and thumb to hold the work (or the tail, when starting a chain).
I took a few pics, hopefully they help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WillowFae
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008 02:22:27 PM »

Thanks guys, that is a help.  I've practised a bit and I am managing to hold the work with my middle finger and thumb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyNole08
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008 02:20:56 PM »

My holding technique is a bit different but it works for me. I tend to have my yarn wrapped around my index finger then I hold it with my thumb and middle finger. I don't know how to manage the other ways that the ladies have said (even though I believe my mom did it this way when she used to crochet). Hope it helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.glamorfabulosa.com - coming soon
http://www.florida-gyrl.net - Blog and more...

WIPs:

3 bikinis
Hat with earflaps

Finished:
A beanie for my roommate (finished pic coming soon)
robynlicious

mr. peterson helps me crochet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008 03:58:17 AM »

I don't wrap the yarn around any of my fingers.  Whenever I try to wrap the yarn around my pinky or index finger, I have a terrible time keeping the tension loose enough.  I hold the work in between my thumb and middle and/or ring fingers.  I hold the yarn by having it run over my left index finger and sort of holding what others wrap in my fist since my hand is bunched up.  I have no idea if that makes sense.

If you need to pull the yarn taught to get your hook in, it sounds like your tension is too tight.  Are you pulling back on the yarn you're holding to make the last stitch you worked have a bigger "gap"?  My suggestion would be to keep your index finger pointed up, and use your left thumb and middle finger to open up the stitch.  If you pull the yarn taught, it's going to make a tighter (smaller) stitch, which will be harder to get your hook into.  It might help to practice using a bigger hook than called for so there's more space until you get the hang of things, especially when you're working into the starting chain or first few rows, since there's not a whole lot of work to get an easy hold on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SalutingMagpies
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008 05:22:48 AM »

I just grew to love the ache!
I always try to hold things the way ademareej and ecreations describe, but when I get to a complicated bit or get distracted by the TV the old claw finger comes out again. Nip it in the bud while you're new to it, as crochet must feel odd to a knitter however you do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008 11:40:03 AM »

LOL, after 25 years I discover I'm holding the yarn all wrong!

I always run the yarn over my left index finger, run the rest of the yarn through my (clenched) left fist, and hold the work with the left thumb and index finger.  And I wave the hook around violently with the right hand, so the overall impression is that I'm trying to murder an inoffensive ball of merino.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiel
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008 02:23:22 PM »

Boy, bad enough my grandma ripped my work out cause she didn't like the way it looked. She also told me I didn't hold the needle correctly.  Grin  I don't write the right way so made her think I would hold the needle the correct way is beyond me. 

Now, all of you are telling me I don't even hold the yarn right  Angry.  I just let it go over my left hand pointer finger and hang down.  Man....  Guess grnadma is rolling over in her grave now.... Shocked  I've tried the other ways and I get the yarn tight on my fingers or yarn burns. 

However, the one thing I do do is I crochet tight.  So everytime I do a pattern I tend to go up 2 crochet needle sizes to get the right guage.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008 02:24:28 PM by Tiel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
ecreations

John 3:16 - a life changing message

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008 05:42:34 PM »

Don't worry! If it works for you, then thats good. There is no right or wrong way, just find something thats comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...