A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 4 Yarn Finger-Knitted Scarf...  (Read 6835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Laamissa
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005 12:47:25 PM »

Hey Everybody!
Thanks for the feedback!

I will try a description.....but it may take some imagination Wink

And away we go:
~I pulled out the ends of the 4 skeins....I made an overhand knot over my pointer and middle finger (just like the first knot used when beginning a crochet project)
~Then Cast on just as you would when knitting with needles, but ONTO your 2 fingers (8 is the max I can fit on my fingers)
~ok, say you cast onto your left hand....take the yarns (held together as it is just one strand) and stick it b/w your 2 fingers, slide the 1st loop over the yarns and put this loop on your 2 first fingers of your right hand
~pick up the yarns again and place them b/w your 2 finger on your left hand again, slide loop off, and put it onto your right hand....do this until all the stiches are on your right hand
~repeat, but this time work your stitches back over to your left hand.  Work back and forth from hand to hand until desired length is reached
~when binding off....it is exactly the same as knitting with needles.....knit the 1st stitch, knit the 2nd, then pull the 1st stitch over the 2nd stitch across until the last one, make a knot trim end leaving ~5 inches or so for fringe.
~cut pieces of fringe and space out across both ends

whew!  that sounds like jibberish!  heres a pic of the back and front of the scarf so you can try to imagine how it works.....Im not that familiar with knitting pattern names but it could be that stockinette stitch mentioned.
one side ends up looking purled (the left side of pic), the other side looks knit (right side of pic):

it would be somewhat easy to teach kids to do this....but probably not with all 4 yarns together.
that is the problem though....if you use 1 or 2 strands it tends to look like what some of you have described....thin and long "things" we have made in brownies!
Finger Knitting is really fun, and if you use funky yarns, it comes out really nice looking too.
oh, and it IS "finger bondage" unless you get a big fatty knitting needle to hold your stitches when you need a break(just try to remember which hand it was on last  Wink)

I may have to try to make a picture tutorial...maybe ill work on that tonight...Ill have the BF take some pics of my fingers in action

That kitty is a pic someone sent me via email....thought it was cute....not too sure what her little helmet is though!

If anyone has ANY questions, just holler or PM me, Ill try my best to help!
Happy knitting, ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
rentpenguin
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005 01:49:27 PM »

i loooove the yarns that you used!
it looks like i is that fun fur yarn, but what are the other 3???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happify
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005 11:24:58 PM »

I don't think it's that hard to do but....

My little brother wanted to learn to knit not that long ago (he's 14).  So I sat him down, showed him, gave him needles.  Didn't happen.  We moved back to crochet (not that there's anything prehensile about crochet -- I just thought one stick fewer would help).  Same story.  Decided to eliminate sticks altogether and go with fingers...he finally got the hang of that.  I think it actually wouldn't be a bad idea to start off teaching finger knitting so that the girls get an idea of how fibers become fabrics. 

Laamissa and I finger weave very differently, though!  I'm going to have to fingerweave something again to see the differences in end result.

Directions to finger weaving as taught in Bemidji, MN public schools back in 1986:
1.  Make loop to fit over pointer finger of DOMINANT hand.  (This hand has to do all the coordinated work of moving fingers around yarns)
2.  Hold hand facing you. 
3.  Thread yarn behind middle, in front of ring, behind pinky, around and in front of pinky, behind ring, in front of middle, and then behind pointer. 
4.  Put a length of the  yarn straight across fngers ABOVE cast on yarn..
5.  Pull loop around pointer out away from finger and over it, making sure that the yarn you just drew across stays on the finger.
6.  Repeat for next three fingers.
7.  When you've finished the pinky, repeat steps 4-7 ad nauseum.

If you have to stop in the middle, simply use a stick or string to put through your four stitches to keep it from unravelling.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005 06:11:41 PM »

Rentpenguin....I used:
~Patons Divine
~Moda Dea Burst
~TLC Amore
~Lion Brand Fun Fur
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005 06:02:49 AM by Laamissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
Laamissa
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005 06:02:11 AM »

Heres the latest one I did....this one was an order....again 4 yarns, this time in blacks and grays:

Need to photograph the method with different colored yarns, these colors were to hard too make out in the photos
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005 06:49:46 AM »

I've always wondered how to finger knit! Thanks...I love the first scarf...alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2005 03:47:02 PM »

Hey Laamissa, that's the Paton's I traded you for all the cotton, isn't it? wow, you made it into something beautiful! I guess it just needed friends! It hated me....

Your cotton helped me learn to knit wth needles for the first time! It was so easy with the cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Easy No-Sew Halloween Bunting
Witch, Please!
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...