A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JUNE NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Have you seen the Craft Challenge announcement?  Check out the details here!
Total Members: 311,997
Currently Running With Scissors:
288 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newsprint chequebook cover  (Read 22521 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bethan

Brit transplant

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2004 08:46:46 PM »

This started out life as a sheet of Japanese newsprint from a classroom project that my son Jay made.  I was all ready to chuck it when I got inspiration.

I'd like to make one or two more of these to sell.  Do you think anyone would be interested in them? If so, how much should I ask... any idea?

They are made with (duh) newsprint, contact paper and bias binding.  I want to make a change purse to match out of the ?sp? Nikkei index on the same page.

I think these would make a good guy gift... I'm always looking for something I can make men.

http://home.san.rr.com/bethan/sewing/chequebook.jpg

http://home.san.rr.com/bethan/sewing/chequebook2.jpg

Oh and BTW, I have NO idea what it all says LOL I hope it isn't rude!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011 07:17:49 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004 09:28:24 PM »

I think it is really cute and I love the detail of the black bias binding. As far as guys go, I'd maybe consider going with a different way to close it (snap maybe), the way it ties now I think would have too much of a girly flair.

I could easily see a market for your checkbook covers... So yes, give selling them a try!  Grin If I were selling this I'd price it between $10 - $15...

and good luck!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
aeroplane
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004 10:12:13 PM »

i think it's awesome.  it's hard to find cool checkbook covers.  i guess it's because having a checkbook is sort of a (hope i don't offend anyone) old-lady type thing and therefore, all the checkbook covers are sort of plain and ugly, not really geared towards people who would LIKE to see a japanese/comic/etc inspired cover...

and as a 20 year girl old toting a checkbook, i would LOVE to see cute & unique (non-leather!) checkbook covers.  

so as one little voice, i'd said go for it and try to sell them.  i woulda spent $15 on that one you made before i found this site and learned to make my own Wink
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004 10:13:38 PM by aeroplane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004 11:36:21 PM »

Oh I so would pay about $15 for one of those!  They are great, and the ones that you buy to match checks usually cost about $20 or more as it is.  As someone stated earlier, a snap might be a bit more manly than the bow. heh.  

Anyway, how could a person from the midwest get a hold of Japanese newsprint?  I can see so many other projects coming form it than just the covers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004 10:14:23 AM »

Very cool!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
aspenwall
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004 10:32:14 AM »

I'm cheap but I would buy one for myself and a couple for some others I know for about $10.00 each.  That is such a great idea!  Let me know when your ready to sell a few to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
completelyobsessed
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004 11:45:06 AM »

I think that looks really pretty, I like it a lot:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004 01:30:55 PM »

Those are very nice. I would buy that for $15, I guess it depends on where oyu are though too.  Maybe do a set change purse & Cover for $20
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004 02:10:22 PM »

that is totally hot

if i weren't as broke as a joke, i would totally spend about $15 on one of those suckers

nice job Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
shaeon

"Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004 05:06:20 PM »

StarFire, in my town they frequently have free chinese newspapers at the front of the mega-chinese buffets (you know, the places with over a hundred items on the buffet).  I would try there, and Asian grocers for newspapers with Asian character newsprint.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Wonderful Walls
Machine Embroidery: not just for tea towels
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Ice Cream Cone

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...