A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
210 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue and White 'Angel Through Time' Costume  (Read 11996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

poem_granite
« on: April 02, 2008 11:44:08 AM »

My idea for this outfit was to take an angel, throw her through the centuries and see what stuck.

(I'm sorry for the lack of human model; my housemate, the only girl I've ever met with the same body type as my dress form, had an emergency appendectomy a few days before I finished. Luckily, Brunhilde (my mannequin) jumped at the opportunity. Or, kind of stood there solidly and I assumed she was excited.)
(And my housemate is recovering fine, just very very tired.)

The materials I used:

Book of word search puzzles, kitchen bags (scented!), ironing board clips, loofah, air freshener (not used), shelf liner, 2 placemats, protective mouth shields, and one enormous pair of granny panties!

(Ellie, pre-appendectomy, demonstrating the granny panties.)

The front piece is very conservative, bringing to mind a corset-type bodice- except that the princess seams (the white granny panties scraps) are facing OUTwards, an indication of how confused this time-traveling angel is.

The bust pieces are protective mouth shields, and the pretty white fabric between them is the crotch of the granny panties. Cheesy

A tip for covering shapes in fabric:

A knee is roughly the same shape as a breast.

The lace necklace (threaded shelf liner scraps) is also reminiscent of fancy accouterments of the past.

The skirt, which pulls up under the bodice, is made from the elastic waist of the panties, bunched up garbage bags for volume (and a fresh mountain scent!) and folded pages from the word search book. The garbled letters of the word searches speaks, again, to the angel's confusion.
The skirt is meant to be ballerina-like; ballerinas are delicate and feminine, like lace, and angels.

The bottom of the bodice is has a band of loofah, echoing the loofah trim on the back:

The back is my absolute favorite- after all, what would an angel be without wings?

The sleeves/wings are made from shelf liner, and the elastic straps are the ironing board clips. The clips attach to the blue strap of the loofah wrapped around the middle of the shelf liner, and the silver bits are from the protective mouth shields (you can see the same metal bits on top of the bust piece.)

I also love how the front connects to the back:

The laundry clips come from the center of the back around...

And snap onto the placemat piece jut below the bust!

Another view of the back, just because I love it so much.

So, through time, the angel picked up elements of delicacy (lace, princess seams, ballerina tutus,) and garbled them into something completely different. I think that's rather indicative of the Dollar Tree Challenge- basic elements (cheap items, delicate inspirations) turning into a whole new result (in this case, wearable art.)

I lied about not having a back-up model- here's my very patient boyfriend letting me fit the wings.

He drew the line at the skirt. Still- what an angel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathiphop
Knitty Gritty MilCity

The city would be prettier covered in yarn...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008 12:17:22 PM »

holy time travlin' angel, batman!! I am completely shell shocked by your creativity! Did you have this theme in mind when you went to the store? Did you know what things you were going to look for? I'm pretty impressed by your mind and your skills. (rocks)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to contribute to an art installation? Any help would be great-join the ball game! go to 6/29/2008 of this blog for details: http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
oxynitrate
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008 12:27:20 PM »

Again You cats are blowing my mind!!!!

I hope your friend is doing well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Before Me Nothing Was Created But Things Eternal. And I Create Eternally.
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008 01:16:34 PM »

LOL. That outfit is truly something!
Great ideas on what to use...and what a wonderful manfriend you have. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
Dem

I love yarn ever so much.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008 01:30:06 PM »

Holy Jebus Bri you have the most submissive boyo ever.
By the way, I found you!
Completely by accident, I was poking through the forum and I recognized the boy and was like wha?!?

Should be able to guess who this is.
If not, that's fun too.
^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008 05:09:31 PM »

holy time travlin' angel, batman!! 

Haha, well put! This is lovely, I especially love the sleeves/wings and the "lace" necklace! And you have a very patient boyfriend!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
thegracklegirl
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008 09:15:05 AM »

LOVE it! What a great imagination you have! Way to work those different items. But of course, anyone with a "Wild Things" poster on their door must be very whimsical and cool.  Smiley

Love the granny panty pose. lol! Looks like some bully gave ya a wedgie there. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCandyWrapperKing
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008 11:52:29 AM »

The mega granny panties did it for me....  haha Cheesy

Try to get your boyfriend to try those on?   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008 07:19:16 PM »

Wow... what an impressive collection of oddities that came together so well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008 07:24:22 AM »

Gotta love the shelf liner.  I used it myself.  I am amazed at how the randomness of your supplies came together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Ah, fall!
Meatless Monday: Black Bean, Butternut and Spinach Skillet
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...