A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,891
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UPDATE AGAIN: EVEN MORE Totorolooove! Clearly I don't know when to stop. 9 pics!  (Read 9524 times)
Tags for this thread: totoro  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tragiqcandy
I'm your new philosophy

Runs with scissors. In the dark.

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2008 04:55:57 PM »

So, up until about a year and a half ago, most of my wardrobe consisted of my five-year-older cousin's hand-me-downs. Her style at my age and mine didn't really match, but there were inevitably a few cute pieces.

I was getting ready to Goodwill (officially a verb!) some of that said hand-me-down wardrobe, when I came across an old tank top I liked but had found a little plain. I left it aside until, months later, I came across this shirt on the handy dandy World Wide Web.

http://www.pcrdist.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SHIRT-TOTORO&Category_Code=japanese-t-shirts

Bingo! I drooled for a while 'cause I love My Neighbour Totoro (even if I fell asleep all three times I watched it  Roll Eyes) and decided I wanted my own. There is a stencil on the page, but I didn't use it and made my own version instead.

Recognize this face?

The top:

Closeup of the pocket with my Ghibli Museum pin:

The classic obligatory actionless action shot!

The shirt was a marvelous hit over at school. About ten people recognized Totoro (YES! Miyazaki WILL reign over all the earth), NO ONE realized it was hand-painted, and two people requested their own! It was about a five-hour job total so I'm not sure if I really want to repeat the process, but I'm pleased with all the positive feedback all the same.

Thanks for sludging through all that text and imagery!

UPDAAAAAAAATE!

You can't handle the heat that is... even more Totoro!

Oh my gee the superkawaiiness!

And here an extremely unnecessary shot of me having spilled icky paint water on the top, setting it aside, and realizing cheshire-Totoro had the funniest. expression. evar. It also kind of lets you see what the top looks like as a whole now. And yes, that's a copy of 'How to Be a Pokemon Master' off to the side. I haven't read it in two years back in my brother's and my four-year-long Pokemon game phase, but I love it anyway.

Moral: don't paint on your carpet when you have your own millipede-infested art studio in the basement. (Agh... millipedes... fetal position...)

UPDATE AGAIN!

Clearly I don't know when to stop. I decided the back looked very lonely, so...

Nine's a symbolic number in my life at the moment, and is also the number of photos in this post. Does this mean something?

God: *shifty eyes*
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008 02:28:34 PM by tragiqcandy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beehart
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008 05:03:41 PM »

cute!  just gave me an idea of what to do with some old t-shirts i've been hanging onto..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwistedTruth
Craft Addict

Riddle me this...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008 05:06:36 PM »

I looove Totoro! I watched My Neighbor Totoro yesterday.

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafty Business Blog WARNING! <Probable> Spoilers | My Pinterest
original4once

*insert evil laugh here*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008 05:14:07 PM »

i recognize that face from somewhere...don't remember where. great job, though. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008 05:15:02 PM »

cute top! and yes thoroughly creeped out with the avatars i questioned where my beloved kyo went Shocked cause i had billy ray cyrus the antichrists father as mine and i practiacally cried  Angry
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008 05:15:45 PM by Chel02 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
osmate77
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008 05:16:58 PM »

I love Totoro.  Therefore, I love your Totoro recon.  It is truly awesome.  I will now have the Totoro theme song stuck in my head the rest of the night.  Sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seraphim

Alex P. Keaton is the Devil!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008 05:42:19 PM »

This turned out so cute even though it looks very simple. Great job! I wasn't creeped out by the avatars, but rather by the fact that I know who every one of them is and I like a lot of them. Every time I see a new one I end up a little more excited...especially over the Coreys and Magnum P. I.! I am a dork.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have many crochet and plastic canvas booklets/leaflets from the 70's, 80's, and 90's that I am interested in trading for a variety of items. PM me if you would like a list of what I have.
instantkarma
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008 05:44:34 PM »

This is so cute! What's the Ghibli Museum, by the way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
pickled_peppers
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008 05:46:23 PM »

I love this!!! I haven't seen the movie yet... but I rented it and plan to watch it tomorrow! Grin That shirt is so cute Cheesy

Oh, yeah... also, is anyone else ridiculously creeped out by the April Fool's avatars?

It definitely got me, I freaked out when I first noticed my avatar wasn't mine Cheesy Great joke, Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps Cheesy

My Etsy ... www.nutsaboutcrochet13.etsy.com

Follow me on Tumblr for all of my crochet projects!
http://whenidreamidreaminyarn.tumblr.com
fa-show93

Oh yeah. They're my babies. ^-^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008 05:47:17 PM »

Ill be honest; I have no idea who totoro is.
But I see that I will soon have to find out!
Your painting is EXCELLENT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of the advantages of being disorganized is the joy of discovery.  - A. A. Milne

http://www.wists.com/fa-show93
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...