A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: still learning- 2 new tops  (Read 1304 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

taytay

Do not mistake co-incidence for fate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2008 11:02:09 AM »

well spring break has been a great time to practice sewing. I'm still learning specially measurement since i keep making my shirts too big. finally got my camera from school as well so i could take pictures. here you go:

^butterick 4800 its a little big on me, but i still really like it.

^burda's freedownload empire top .. really didn't follow the directions very much because i was getting frustrated obviously i should have.. the band looks really awkward.

don't mind the tank top underneath. helpful hints? besides following directions Tongue haha -maybe with measurements?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyAlly
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008 11:49:25 AM »

I cant really help too much because everything I make turns out too big!  Roll Eyes But I just wanted to say you're doing really well and I like your fabrics. Also sometimes you can just sew up the side seams again on tops like that to take them in a bit. -That is if they have side seams! I cant tell from the pics.  Tongue Anyway, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008 12:05:37 PM »

Everything I made turned out really big until I started paying attention to exactly how big the seam allowances were supposed to be.  I was doing 1/4 or 3/8 inch seam allowance, when it was really supposed to be 5/8 - quite a bit bigger than 1/4, I would say.

I think your tops are quite cute, and after seeing them the only other thing I would reccommend is pressing the seams.  Pressing the seams makes quite a difference in the finished product (Ah, I know, time consuming, dull, not good for the impatient...).  Anyway, I think if you pressed the second top the underbust band would look fine and not awkward at all.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008 05:11:46 PM by ghilie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
jagger

The restless shall go and the faithful shall stay

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008 12:33:55 PM »

Ooh, I really like the second one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Maybe he won't fight."  "Will he bleed?  That's all we care about."

Is he willing but not able to prevent evil?  Then he is impotent.  Is he able but not willing?  Then he is malevolent.  Is he both able and willing?  Whence then is evil?  --Epicurus
keogan42
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008 12:46:32 PM »

i think they both look really nice...you're doing great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taytay

Do not mistake co-incidence for fate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008 04:19:29 PM »

I cant really help too much because everything I make turns out too big!  Roll Eyes But I just wanted to say you're doing really well and I like your fabrics. Also sometimes you can just sew up the side seams again on tops like that to take them in a bit. -That is if they have side seams! I cant tell from the pics.  Tongue Anyway, good job!
yeah they have side seams ha ha stupid of me not to think of that! but thanks so much for the tips, and yes ghilie-i need to learn to read directions and stop being bitter about them ha ha

thanks for the encouragement! i'll keep it up:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...