A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
201 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Playing Card Art Embroidery  (Read 1128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2008 07:20:34 PM »

I work at a public library and we host an "Arts Go" day each year in April.  One of my coworkers organizes a "staff theme" to put on display along with local art pieces.  Last year we all did ATCs.  This year she gave each of us a playing card and we are to create "art" with it - no other rules involved!

As a separate project, I've been working on a series of 8x8 embroidered canvases to hang on my kitchen wall.  Heck, why not combine the two?

Here's what I came up with:

This is my first original design - I love creating things, but I'm just not very artistic!  I like how it turned out, but I was definitely influenced by Aimee Ray's book, Doodle-Stitching

A slightly closer view:

You can see that the tail on the card-bird isn't exactly lined up - I had to wash and press the piece before attaching the card.  That was more difficult than I thought!  Also, my satin stitch "circles" are pretty awful.  They might be a little busy up there, and I think I have a special talent for lopsided circles.  Oh well - the next one will be even better!

Here's a picture of my wall so far. 

The other cute designs are direct copies of Doodle-Stitching designs, and the Spoon guy I posted about here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=229998.msg2501800#msg2501800.

Thanks for looking!  I can always take tips from more experienced embroiderers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenB
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008 07:26:56 PM »

I like it. Your card stitching goes along perfect with the doodle-stitching set.

Very cool.

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.homeberries.com
Embroidery can't change the world... or can it?
motivate kindness
flossbox
Happy crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008 02:46:46 AM »

Clever use of the card!  They all look great together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cedarwaxwing
P is for Prue trampled flat in a brawl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008 07:34:42 AM »

Yeah, I really like how you incorporated the card it looks so good next to the other lil' birds. It looks like your wall is coming along great. You should post the others. I don't think I have seen the one on the right I would love a close up. Thanks. And can't wait to see what you put up there next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sixblueirises
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008 11:11:20 AM »

I think I have a special talent for lopsided circles.  Oh well - the next one will be even better!

You're not the only one with a special talent for lopsided circles. At least your satin stitch looks good! I can't satin stich to save my life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...