A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Airplane Cake with Pilot - image heavy  (Read 1226 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
smudgycat
« on: March 23, 2008 02:24:17 AM »

This is a birthday cake for my hubby, who is a pilot in his spare time.
I used the pound cake recipe from Joy of Cooking, and it baked up wonderfully.  The mace really added a good flavor to the cake.   I used Wilton's standard butter cream frosting (1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla extract, 4 cups of powdered sugar, 4 tbs milk), and piped most of it on with a pastry bag.  When I spread the frosting on, I added a bit of light corn syrup to thin it down.

This was my first try with fondant, and I used it for the arms, hands, propeller, and facial features.  The camera really emphasized the cornstarch remains on the fondant; when seen in normal light, you don't even notice it.  The propeller, wings, and tail have a base of plastic (from a strawberry container).  The propeller was covered in fondant, and it attaches with a toothpick, which allows it to move nicely.  The wings were given a coat of frosting before piping on the filling stars on the top/visible edges.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008 03:09:32 AM »

fantastic cake!
what a great idea  Cheesy
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
pinsNneedles
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008 02:58:29 PM »

Oh my goodness - that's BRILLIANT!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairybug22

buttercream can fix anything!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008 12:53:35 PM »

You did a wonderful job on the cake-I love the pilots face and hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008 10:20:15 PM »

Thanks for the compliments.  The pilot head actually resembles my husband's Wii character, so it was extra amusing.

The kids loved the fondant bits, and we nearly had a fight over who would eat the prop and who would eat the duck.  I thought having 2 fondant arms would be enough to avoid a sugar conflict, but I was wrong.  Oops.

The cake was good, but a bit on the dense/dry side.  The frosting was really sweet, and while it looked cool, it didn't meld well with the pound cake.  Any recommendations on a less sweet frosting that still holds its shape nicely when piped?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
fairybug22

buttercream can fix anything!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008 10:11:39 AM »

The recipe I use for buttercream icing is 1 cup shortening, 4 cups 10x sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon vanilla or almond extract, 4-6 tablespoons milk OR water.  The milk or water can be more or less, depending on your desired consistency.  The salt cuts the sweetness, and really helps with the flavor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...