A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered Patches for a Baby's Crazy Quilt  (Read 1759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

accountantbyday
Semiadolescent By Night

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2008 07:20:09 PM »

Hi!  This is my first project to share here on Craftster.  I'm almost a beginner to embroidery, other than cross stitch.  I just got a sewing machine a few weeks ago, and I know some people who are having babies, so I decided to make a baby-sized crazy quilt as a practice project.  The book I was reading had an example of crazy patchwork, where a bunch of the patches had cute little things embroidered on it.  So I thought it would be fun to do that for this quilt. 

The giraffe was the first one I did, and my first attempt at ever doing satin stitch.  I actually think the giraffe's eye and spots turned out better than the eyes on the mouse and squirrel, whose eyes look sort of mean to me.  Oh, well.  I am not the one who will have to tend to a toddler who wakes up shrieking because of nightmares about the evil mouse and squirrel on her blanky.  I am a bad friend.  I am not going to warn the mother of the child who ultimately receives this quilt.

This guy looked awful before I added leaves to the picture. WHAT WAS HE TRYING TO LICK? 

This is Hunca Munca from Beatrix Potter's "A Tale of Two Bad Mice". It is a touching story about two mice who break a doll's house to look for food, but then become frustrated and trash the place. They steal a bunch of the dolls' things and take them back to their mousehole. Then after committing these atrocities, they voluntarily clean the dolls' house every day for the rest of their lives. Well, it was 1905. I guess they didn't know about recidivism then.

This is Squirrel Nutkin, who is apparently getting ready to throw some type of projectile at someone or something. What a hoodlum. I think he drinks and smokes on school nights.

The weird blue marks are from the water soluble fabric pen I used to transfer the patterns onto the material.  I realized after I uploaded the pictures that I had forgotten to wet the fabric to get rid of them.  So try to pretend it isn't there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bmelove
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008 07:48:35 PM »

They're all really lovely!
But the giraffe stole my heart. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urbanchic1212
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008 08:10:12 PM »

awww so cute they eyes are kinda creepy the squirell looks like a ninja squirrell i love it and i love the giraffees tongue Cheesy the mouse doesn't look that evil im sure the child will not get scared
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reality is for people lacking an imagination.
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008 08:12:42 PM »

Cute and your description made me giggle! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
robynsteiner
I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008 09:03:30 PM »

This guy looked awful before I added leaves to the picture. WHAT WAS HE TRYING TO LICK? 

Hilarious! I think he was Gene Simmons from KISS in his previous life!!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008 08:45:41 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
cedarwaxwing
P is for Prue trampled flat in a brawl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008 11:11:00 AM »

These are so cute. I love your descriptions very funny. Are you going to add whiskers to the mouse or just leave her? They look awesome can you post pics of them all on the blanket when you are done?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
accountantbyday
Semiadolescent By Night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008 09:52:32 PM »

Oh, thanks for the comments, you guys!  This is my first embroidery effort so it's great to get some positive reactions to it. 

All of my patterns were pictures I found online for free - the Beatrix Potter ones came from children's coloring pictures off peterrabbit.com, and the giraffe came from the free patterns at needlecrafter.com.  The only pain was having to trace them on instead of having an iron-on pattern. 

The main saving grace of that giraffe is the leaves they included in the image.  Otherwise, he looks quite inappropriate.  Gene Simmons, indeed!

I think I am going to leave the whiskers off, after thinking about it, although if I wash the ink out and realize it looks all wrong, I may go back with fewer strands of floss (I used 3 strands for these) and make the whiskers very fine and thin.  I still have a couple other images I'm working on, and certainly the blanket itself.  I'll be sure to post them when I'm done!  I still haven't actually ever done patchwork, so I decided to work on some smaller practice stuff, like a needle book or something.  I could probably use the experience!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beefranck

You know what? You know what? Yeah.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008 09:57:50 AM »

Adorable! I love the squirrell. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adding some awesome to www.mrxstitch.com since February 8th, 2009
Buy my patterns here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrXStitch
Come join us at the Phat Quarter! http://www.flickr.com/groups/phatquarter/
My podcast! - www.emergency-pants.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...