A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,840
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with gorey prop ideas!!!  (Read 1565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 09, 2008 08:18:23 PM »

I guess this would be the right forum for this.  I'm helping a friend who's in charge of props for a play.  In one scene, a guy gets disembowled (intestines pulled out, blood splatter...).  Now, they want something gross looking, but not too messy because of clean up issues and time constraints. 

I've already suggested the Knitted Digestive System and resin/contact paper for blood pools, but am stalled on ideas for the "flying gore".

Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.  Even if they are slightly messy.  Thanks! 

~Kristina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008 03:31:44 PM »

Your play may be over but, what about some red tights or panty hose or strips of fabric sewn like round tubes for the intestines, and stuffed, attach some red pieces of fabric shredded to them for the blood or something.  Sew something that looks like a heart attached and a stomach, then it would be all in one piece. Easy to clean up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
HalloweenNut
When goths get old...

Keeping Halloween in my heart year-round

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008 09:12:02 AM »

If you're interested in a recipe for repulsively realistic looking intestines that I was given by an *extremely* highly regarded special effects professional (I can't drop the name, but he was a special guest at a horror convention I went to), here you go...

Ingredients:  plastic wrap, spray-glue (3m Super 77 is a good brand), clear strapping tape (optional), several packages of vanilla pudding (prepared according to package directions), fake blood that's a little thicker than the usual Halloween prop garbage - Mehron is a good brand, if you an afford it. 

- Pull a length of plastic wrap that's roughly a foot longer than you want the finished gut segment to be (ie// if you want a 6' gut piece, pull one that's 7').  Place the piece flat on a large work surface (the floor is nice, as long as it's a floor that can be easily cleaned). 

- Spray the surface of the plastic wrap lightly with the glue

- Spoon the pudding into a narrow but continuous line lengthwise down the middle of the plastic wrap, but leave 6" at each end clear of pudding (if this drawing makes sense):

---------------------------------------       
     l                                                      l  <---- plastic wrap
     l      ------------------------------      l  <---- pudding line down middle
     l                                                      l
     ---------------------------------------

-  Fold the 6" flap over the pudding line and allow the glue to adhere for a minute or so.

-  Carefully roll the pudding line up (relatively firmly, but not so tight that the plastic could burst) into a 6' tube of wrap containing the pudding - this is your intestine (think of the wrapping procedure as similar to wrapping ingredients into a burrito).  If any of the pudding oozes out anywhere, patch that part with the clear strapping tape. 

-  Coat the pudding tube with the fake blood, and you've got a squishy, gross intestine that's flexible, appropriately colored, and relatively inexpensive. 

I hope that this impromptu tute was reasonably clear... feel free to PM if you have any questions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky, altogether ooky.
http://www.wists.com/HalloweenNut
Cheebs

Too busy wisting to be resting...

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008 06:54:41 AM »

I'm guessing you were at the same convention as myself.

There is also some tuts on cutoutandkeep about bruising and gashes and things of that nature.

The good paints to use from what I've heard are true burgandy and black cherry also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HalloweenNut
When goths get old...

Keeping Halloween in my heart year-round

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 04:20:24 AM »

LOLOLOLOL... was it in Maryland?  Near Baltimore?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky, altogether ooky.
http://www.wists.com/HalloweenNut
Cheebs

Too busy wisting to be resting...

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 09:59:41 AM »

LOLOLOLOL... was it in Maryland?  Near Baltimore?   Wink

Nah... I didn't go to that one.  We were at the new one, Eastern Haunters, up near me in PA.  Some of the tips you gave were similar to this one vendor so I'm sure he was at both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 10:08:39 AM »

A good way of making flying gore is shades of red yarn either loose lengths or bundles for large gobbets of gore
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...