A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 314,113
Currently Running With Scissors:
207 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first baby quilt -- and quite possibly the softest quilt ever  (Read 1292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 09, 2008 06:43:22 PM »

so here it is, my first quilt ever.  everything is done on my machine, because i don't have the patience for anything done by hand.  i highly commend those of you that do.  anyway, the quilt top is flannel, the back is some sort of super soft fuzzy fleecy type fabric, and the binding is flannel-backed satin.  the satin actually wasn't as hard to work with as i expected.  i'm glad these pics aren't close-up, because there are definitely some imperfections in it, but i wasn't expecting it to be perfect.  it's for my sister-in-law, who is expecting her first child, so i wanted to do something special for her.  of course, at the shower, she got TWO other quilts AND two knitted blankets.  geez that baby is going to be warm!  i didn't know she had so many crafty family members.  oh well.  i'm sure they'll get use out of all of them.  anyway, here are the pics:

the color on the back is somewhat off, in real life it's a bit brighter, and matches the green on the front.  i was actually aiming to make the blue animal fabric the main fabric of the piece, but the checkerboard parts kind of overpowered it.  i wish i had made the blue a little bigger or stand out more, but overall i'm pretty happy with the quilt.  comments?

EDIT:  forgot to add the dimensions.  each of the squares is 5x5, with an inch in between, so it ended up being about 32 x 44 with the binding.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008 06:45:22 PM by lindseycore » THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008 07:02:53 PM »

Thats an awesome quilt for it being your first time! And don't be worried at the baby shower for my son I got enough quilts and blankets to fill a rubbermaid tote and a drawer in a change table! So I would be happy that she actually recieved so few  Wink

Again its an awesome quilt! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
luvsquilts
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008 07:14:42 PM »

That's an awesome first quilt!
With a baby you can never have too many blankets/quilts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008 07:47:51 PM »

Love it ... I especially like the fact you used soft, fuzzy fabric that's nice and snuggly. I'm sure your SIL loves it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008 07:17:43 AM »

I think she will appreciate all the blankets she got.  When I had my baby shower I got a lot of blankets and I thought, "Man what am i gonna do with all of these?"  I ended up using all of them.  Between spit up, leaky diapers, spilled milk etc I ended up wishing I had MORE! 

I like the bright colors you used on your quilt.  I've always liked bright vs pastel for babies.

Congrats on finishing your first quilt.  I think it turned out wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008 02:28:48 PM »

this is great!  its a wonderful design which is great because that's the impt part that isn't depend on your skills as a beginner, but I can't tell you're a beginner anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Flower Crown
Tiny House
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Breakfast Taco

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...