A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
226 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gee's Bend Quilts  (Read 812 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Sharripie
Knitter, Needlepointer, Quilter, Crafter

Born to Craft!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 06, 2008 08:18:12 PM »

I just saw a bunch of Gee's Bend quilts this weekend at our local art museum. I was so inspired to see what all these women have produced. Many of the quilts were made from old clothes. The composition of the quilts was fabulous! Lots of abstraction, and some deconstruction of classic blocks. It has reminded me to get back to a project I set aside a couple years ago, pieced from my husband's worn out khakis. I have most of the blocks pieced, but I think I set it aside because I needed more pants. As soon as I have time to look at it, I'll post some pics. Anyway, just thought I'd share. I was so happy to see quilts that weren't the same old thing as in the shops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
IamSusie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008 02:42:28 PM »

I saw the big Gees Bend art exhibit when it first toured several years ago.  It was truly incredible.  I wish I had their creativity to flaunt conventional quilting rules and patterns and come up with such unique inspired creations. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharripie
Knitter, Needlepointer, Quilter, Crafter

Born to Craft!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008 08:32:01 PM »

I'm sure that being cut off from the nearest town (due to the absence of the ferry for 30 years) had a lot to do with how their design aesthetic came about. It seems like when you're forced to be self-sufficient, you probably don't worry too much about following "rules." I think my favorites were the ones where they took one block and made it the whole quilt. Another one I loved, which I think shows how old I am, is one where the quilter use her bright pink Palmetto jeans on her quilt top. I can remember really wanting a pair when I was in middle school, but my mom wouldn't go for it. I was tickled to recognize something from my own frame of reference in a quilt!

Anyway, the exhibit reminded me of my UFO. I'll be getting back to it as soon as I finish knitting a shawl to wear to my brother's wedding in 3 weeks. I have another unfinished quilt, for my niece, but I'm feeling a little stuck on that one. It's all triangles, and I haven't come up with a solution for the corners. Maybe I'll post it for some advice... isn't it true that every crafter has multiple UFO's?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008 04:43:06 PM »

I did a quilt that was all triangles and my solution for all those corners was not to worry if they weren't perfect.  I used vintage style 1930's and 40's prints and that has been out favorite sofa quilt for about 10 years. It's really worn out now, and it turns out it never mattered about those cut off corners.

Good luck on your UFO's I've got lots of them too, but it doesn't really bother me anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...