A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 311,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
348 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Stripey Baby Blanket  (Read 5484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muddlepud
« on: February 29, 2008 11:49:56 AM »

I am usually a pretty timely project-finisher, but this one has been in the works for 2+ years. It was slow going because it made my wrists hurt (small stitches and a very repetitive pattern). Then I ran out of one of the colors and just set it aside and forgot about it. I have been on a frenzy of project-finishing lately, and it's finally done. Hurrah! I was going to give it as a baby gift, but I like it so much that I'm keeping it for my own LOs. Smiley

("Ribbon Candy" pattern made from the book Ripples for Baby, designed by Rose Marie Brooks.)

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 05:30:56 PM by PencilNeck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
amber555
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008 12:01:04 PM »

Wow! That's beautiful! What kind of wool did you use? I really like the colours and the changes from large colour stripes to the smaller sc ones is really unique! Sympathies on the wrist pain. I find that happens to me when I make afghans, for me it isn't the smaller stitches, it's holding up the weight of the blanket as it gets larger and larger.

I'm hitting this "this rocks" cause it really does!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Muddlepud
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008 12:06:56 PM »

Aw, thanks! I used both Caron Simply Soft and Bernat Satin yarns. There may have been a Bernat Softee thrown in there too. The weights actually varied a teeny bit, but not enough that you can tell. The smaller rows in between each color are actually rows of slip stitches across the front of the previous row, and then the thicker rows are worked in back loops only to create a texture. It's a pretty cool pattern, but I don't know if I'll be tackling it again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop
Blog
Flickr
IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008 01:50:10 PM »

It's just so beautiful!  Ripple blankets are always nice, but yours has really special texture and details.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donnamaxx
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008 01:58:05 PM »

Well done. I love the textured look you have achieved. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008 03:32:38 PM »

That is *awesome*!!!  What does the back look like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muddlepud
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008 04:11:29 PM »

What does the back look like?

It's almost the same as the front, except you don't see the slip stitches between the rows very much. You can see them, but just the backs of the stitches. And you can see where I've woven in some ends, but it's a pretty tidy back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop
Blog
Flickr
katatonicP
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008 07:53:05 AM »

gorgeous!!  I love it!  Beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ReconMaster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008 06:29:54 AM »

WOW. Coming from someone who just learned the single crochet stitch... WOW. Did you have to change colors every stitch or is there a type of stitch that lets you make those "v" shaped ripples?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muddlepud
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008 07:07:31 AM »

WOW. Coming from someone who just learned the single crochet stitch... WOW. Did you have to change colors every stitch or is there a type of stitch that lets you make those "v" shaped ripples?

The ripple is actually very simple, and you can do it with single crochet. (I used double crochet for this one, but it's the same idea. Double crochet just makes wider rows and will go faster.) You basically do something like this: sc (single crochet) in each of next 6 sc, 3 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 6 sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in each of next 6 sc, and so on. So where you're doing 3 sc in the same stitch, you're making the rise of the ripple, and where you're skipping stitches you're making the dip. It forces the piece into the rippled pattern. Does that make sense?

I'd definitely recommend checking out a simple ripple pattern book. The one I used (cited in the OP) has really basic patterns that look beautiful but are way easier than they look. Some of them would make great beginner projects.

(Oh, and I did change color every 3 rows for the wider bands, and then of course the narrow bands (slip stitch rows) are a different color too. You can carry your yarn up the side if you don't want all the loose ends, but I preferred to finish off and weave as I went. Happy rippling! Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop
Blog
Flickr
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...