A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
181 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to look for when you get started?  (Read 703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

SugarySweet
« on: February 28, 2008 10:24:43 AM »

I was out last weekend with the MI meetup girls.  Grin

I had no idea you could buy bags of fiber to spin.  Embarrassed  Roll Eyes I thought you had to *make* it from start to finish.  Grin

One of the stores we went to had a few bags of fiber and I thought ohh I can do it afterall.

So what are the types of things do I need?

What type of wheel is best?

I have no idea where to begin!! Shocked

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 10:25:12 AM by KimsCozyKitchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008 10:38:36 AM »

Ahhh you went to Frankenmuth?! I wanted to go but it was just too far for me to go from Muskegon Sad

I spin! I use to just spin on a drop spindle, simple, easy and CHEAP way to get started and just recently bought a wheel!!! I bought a antique wheel, although I love it I have found that I have already progressed past its abilities and I am now in the market for another new wheel...my advice is watch out, this hobby is addicting!

Just had to say hi to a fellow Michigander! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008 12:35:49 PM »

I would say that you've found a good place to start!

Start off by combing this board.  Read everything you can get your hands on, including threads here, library books, and websites (http://www.thejoyofhandspinning.com, etc.).  I heartily recommend getting on the waiting list to be a "beta tester" at Ravelry.com, as there are a ton of spinning boards there. 

Basically to start out you need, (a) fiber, and (b) a tool for spinning that fiber.  Since you're just beginning, I'm in the camp of pmpknpunk and recommend a spindle, since a wheel is a major investment.  Even the el cheapo models start in the hundreds of dollars.  The type of spindle you should buy depends upon the kind of yarn you want to spin...generally, the heavier the spindle, the bulkier the yarn. 

If you're not careful, you'll start with a spindle and a bit of wool and end up with a drum carder, combs, fiber in every nook and cranny, and a desire to raise fiber animals!   Cheesy  Seriously, it's an addiction, but one that you aren't likely to regret.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 12:36:41 PM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
SugarySweet
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 05:42:32 PM »

I went to Frankenmuth. We had a blast that day.  Grin

Thanks pmpknpunk & nicolassa. I'll start reading and looking for a drop spindle to get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...