A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
163 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with bags and purses  (Read 2011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 23, 2008 01:45:22 PM »

I need a little help on handbags.  I am new to this site and hope to find some good people that have great advice!

I have not sewn anything for a LONG time, and I was not very good when I did Smiley  When making a bag or purse, for lining it, do you sew the lining to the outer bag pieces, then sew it together?  Or, do you sew a lining bag, then sew an outer bag, then sew the 2 together?  What is the easiest?

I'm trying to start small to build my skills, and you can never have too many purses!

TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Zoe ♥

STS Spring Market 2019
PINTEREST
Will personal swap for a crochet or knitted Totoro teapot cozy (see my Pinterest YARN board!)
BabyGirlBling
I love my Coastie and my Coastie loves me....... and my crafting addiction!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008 03:15:02 PM »

What I do is sew the liner and the outer part seperate.Then I put the pretty side to the pretty side, sew around the top where they join, then I flip it right side out and sew up the hole. When I make totes and such I usually leave a 3-5 inch gap at the bottom somewere so once the inside and outside are sewn together there is somewhere to turn it.

There are lots of way's to make bags this just happens to be the easiest for me. Good luck and I hope this helped!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love swapping! PM me if your interested. I make custom jewelry and awesomer than awesome bags/purses!
http://www.myspace.com/Burnt_Toast_Designs Visit my Myspace page for examples of my work.
I love taking requests for custom items!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008 05:19:38 PM »

There is also a "Purses, Bags & Wallets" forum  here Smiley scroll down further. Oh, and that one has lots and lots of tutorials. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSapphireMoon

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008 04:09:41 PM »

Thanks BabyGirl Smiley  I will try that.  Hope to have some time coming up soon this coming week, maybe I will get around to starting a bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Zoe ♥

STS Spring Market 2019
PINTEREST
Will personal swap for a crochet or knitted Totoro teapot cozy (see my Pinterest YARN board!)
BabyGirlBling
I love my Coastie and my Coastie loves me....... and my crafting addiction!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008 08:53:21 AM »

Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love swapping! PM me if your interested. I make custom jewelry and awesomer than awesome bags/purses!
http://www.myspace.com/Burnt_Toast_Designs Visit my Myspace page for examples of my work.
I love taking requests for custom items!
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008 09:05:20 AM »

Here is how I do some of my tote bag style bags, make the lining & the main bag seperately. I attach EVERYTHING to the lining - interfacing, pocket, strap. I then insert the lining into the main bag (wrong sides together) & just top stitch at the top edge. This way all the attaching stitches are on the inside & can't be seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 06:50:33 AM »

I just looked throught the tutorials forum.  There are some REALLY great ones in there!  So many do not have working photos Sad  I am a highly visual person, so following written directions with no photos is not something I can do.  Ran out of time this week before I could even THINK about starting a bag!  LOL!  Par for the course around here though...

On the upside, I did find some great sheets, duvet cover and a sarong to use for fabric on upcoming projects when I was at the thrift store.  Everything got washed, so I am 1/4 of the way to being able to get some things made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Zoe ♥

STS Spring Market 2019
PINTEREST
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...