A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,820
Currently Running With Scissors:
302 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First attempt at cane work  (Read 1276 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

evilsarah
« on: February 23, 2008 01:24:54 PM »

Ok, so thats a lie, I think its really my second attempt, bu this is my first attempt at something a little complex. I did it just fooling around, but later learned its called a "lace" or "lacework" cane...and I made beads with it.

Heres a close up, some of the beads cracked with I tried to make the hole through them. It's because I had to put them down one night, and I just lightly covered them...a few days later they were all brittle again and making the hole  was really difficult. Most of them are good, I think I just happened to take a picture of the few I ended up throwing out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello vera

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008 01:50:11 PM »

These remind me of pomegranetes (if thats how its spelt, its been a long day!), I really l ike them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveoctopus
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008 05:12:06 AM »

i think those are really pretty! they would make some snazzy earrings! also, just a fun tip, but if you ever do canes again, and are having a hard time cutting them, if you pop them in the fridge for about half an hour, the cutting will be easier. =) just in case you didn't already know that lol i wanna go make some now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsarah
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008 11:28:48 AM »

I used that trick on the flower canes I just did...very helpful. With this one I was like falling asleep as I was doing them, but I just really wanted to play with the clay I had just gotten...thats why they sat for a few days because I decided I needed to go to sleep after cutting them. Also, I have yet to get a "proper" cutting tool. For now I am using a razor blade with one of the razor edges covered in part of my FIRST cane so i dont cut myself. It works great as long as what I am cutting is thinner than the side of the blade!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Vanilla Spice Nut Mix
Meatless Monday: Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...