A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,841
Currently Running With Scissors:
281 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First post! "Elvish" hoodie. warning: pic heavy and lots of orange!  (Read 10538 times)
Tags for this thread: hoodie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Phyxious
« on: February 21, 2008 09:50:48 AM »

Finally! This is my first "show off" post even though I've been lurking here for a while. About time I guess Smiley

I made this for a friend who is having her birthday on Saturday. I knew she likes these "elven" hoodies (at least that's what they're called here), with the pointed hoods and wider sleeves, you know? So I decided to make one in crushed velour using some of her favorite colors: orange and yellow.

I had some trouble with the fabrics though, as I have to drive for an hour to get to the nearest fabric store that has more than curtain stuff (I hate you, small towns!). And when I got there they didn't have the colors I was looking for so I didn't buy anything Sad What a waste of time. So I bought my fabric online instead (and it was so much cheaper, yay) but it took 10 days for it to arrive. So I wasn't able to start sewing this thing until last Saturday. I seem to always make a ton of mistakes so I am really really happy that I finished it on time!

It has yellow lining in the hood and in the pouch. I made the pattern myself and all in all it really wasn't that hard to make. If I had not messed up when I sewed it together (forgot the pouch lining so I had to rip the seams, not funny in this material) it would've taken a lot less time...

Now my friend is pretty much the same size as me, only taller and has wider hips. I have never made clothing for someone I couldn't try it on before so I hope it fits! I had her boyfriend take her measurements w/o her knowing what it was for. I hope she doesn't suspect anything Grin

Sorry for all the text, I'm just so excited about it! Cheesy On to the photos:

EDIT: I gave it to my friend and she loves it! So here are som pics of her wearing it instead of the old ones.

From the front. The yellow is the lining of the pocket. I made the holes a bit big, I wasn't expecting them to stretch so much... I'll make them smaller next time.

Showing how the pockets work. Yay she is happy! Cheesy

Back view. So you can see the "elvish" hood!

A pic starring me to show it from the side. It's a bit shorter on her though.

Closeup of pocket hole.

closeup of fabric.

I want to thank everyone who helped me decide the colorcombo of this thing. I think it looks much better this way than what I first had in mind (different colors on the lower sleeves and pouch). I am so making one for me too, but in purple or something. The orange doesn't really go well with my hair Grin

Thx for looking!

EDIT:: Here is the tutorial finally. Sorry it took so long!
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=246171
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 04:57:05 AM by Phyxious - Reason: added link to tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it's 1 am and you can see dancing elephants in the texture of your carpet, it's probably time to go to bed...
Phyxious
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008 09:53:22 AM »

can someone tell me how to make the pics appear a liiiittle bit smaller? Tongue or do I have to change them i photoshop...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it's 1 am and you can see dancing elephants in the texture of your carpet, it's probably time to go to bed...
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008 10:06:51 AM »

I like the combo you went with. I think your pictures are fine.. If they were smaller it'd be hard to see on my resolution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008 10:19:16 AM »

Ha ha. I like. Also, I have a blanket made with those exact two fabrics. It's the best blanket ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
ebbycat63
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 10:29:15 AM »

I'm sure your friend will love it,and that you took the time to make her something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phyxious
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 10:39:43 AM »

I like the combo you went with. I think your pictures are fine.. If they were smaller it'd be hard to see on my resolution.

Ok I'll keep them big then. I only have a 15" screen so I can't have that high res on it, and they look huuuge Smiley

I'm glad you guys like it, I can't wait to give it away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystico_tala
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008 04:30:56 PM »

I love the hood!  That is so cute Smiley  Looks very soft and comfy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
haute.tamale

Well Behaved Women R.A.R.E.L.Y. Make History

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008 04:49:12 PM »

That is sooo cool.
Love the hood, and I love your hair! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008 05:31:12 PM »

This looks so comfy! I don't even like hoodies usually, but I'd probably(ok, almost definitely) wear one like this in darker colors..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
eyeshadowninja
Too amateur for my own talent.

Let's swap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008 06:05:08 PM »

I LOVE this! It's so comfy looking and bright and pretty and nice. I want one, now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...