A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Storage, or How Harriet Prevailed Over the Canine Hordes  (Read 2603 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_perch , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
KrisEOB
« on: February 20, 2008 09:17:11 PM »

So we have two whippets and one whippet-hating cat.  The whippets find the cat, of course, endlessly fascinating, so she spends a lot of her time hiding out in the bathroom.  Problem is that the kitty lounge is located directly behind the second door, so she's constantly getting squished behind the door.  Also, the type of windows we have don't have enough of a sill to use those store-bought cat perches. 

So last week I made my baby her very own perch.  So now she can glare down disdainfully at the little whelps!  As you can see, she's an expert in glaring.

The problem (Or half of it, anyway.  Couldn't get the other half to pose.  Plus, this one always has a guilty air about her):

The imperious glare:

She so knows they can't get her!  The shelf is just a store-bought one, but I made a cushion from a remnant of fleecy faux suede, and attached it to the underside of the shelf with elastic sewn into the bottom seam of the cushion.

Hope you like it half as much as Harriet does!

Okay, one more gratuitous shot of the whippet, just cause she's cute  Smiley:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 09:18:53 PM by KrisEOB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008 09:29:49 PM »

Yeah for Harriet. Your little Whippet is way too cute and Harriet is very sophisticated. What a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008 09:40:30 PM »

Awww. I can see she is enjoying her high perch. What a super cute kitty. She looks a lot like my Daphne who I lost almost 3 years ago to old age.

I hope your cute kitty isn't as grumpy as she was!

The cushion BTW looks very well constructed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KrisEOB
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 09:53:15 PM »

Awww. I can see she is enjoying her high perch. What a super cute kitty. She looks a lot like my Daphne who I lost almost 3 years ago to old age.

I hope your cute kitty isn't as grumpy as she was!

The cushion BTW looks very well constructed.

I'm sorry you lost your baby.  And I'm afraid Harriet is quite grumpy!  Cheesy  But she can be very sweet when the dogs aren't around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008 09:57:54 PM »

Is that pretty piping on the edge of the cushion? It does look very well constructed. Your pretty babies are super cute too, I love whippets and the name Harriet Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
KrisEOB
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008 10:05:10 PM »

Is that pretty piping on the edge of the cushion? It does look very well constructed. Your pretty babies are super cute too, I love whippets and the name Harriet Cheesy

The edging is actually just the seams from the faux suede.  I sewed it with the seams out, rather than turning it, because I thought it might help the cushion hold its shape better (which it turns out it does!)  I haven't worked with this fleecy suede before, but I have to say I really love it.  It's easy to sew, and didn't really even need pinning.  (It's sueded on one side, and wooly fleece on the other.)  I bought the remnant thinking I'd make a hat out of it, but c'est la vie.  I did the fleecy side for the parts that Harriet would lie on, to catch the fur, and the suede-y side for the sides of the cushion.

And I love Harriet's name too.  The whippet, BTW, is named Denise.  I'm a strong proponent of human names for pets!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 10:07:09 PM by KrisEOB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008 10:27:00 PM »

OMG! Denise! How cute. Staying on topic. Cheesy  I need to make a cushions like that for my jacks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...