A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
234 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress from Thrift Store Pattern!  (Read 3551 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mouse123
« on: February 29, 2008 12:29:57 AM »

I got this pattern for $0.25, and made it with 1.5 meters of $2 walmart fabric! 
It was my first successful project with a pattern!  I've made trial-and-error things from scratch before, but I figure if I want to sew fancier (and more professional looking) things, I should learn to use patterns.  I measured myself, and it matched the pattern measurements, but when I had the whole dress put together, it was massively huge.  So I just took in the side seams about 4" on each side, and thankfully that solved it.  The pattern came with a how-to hem a curved skirt, so I learnt how to do that properly too.  (I usually just force the folded up fabric to curve, and get weird puckers...)  Anyhow, enough writing, here it is!

this one shows the full length of the dress.  I'm not totally happy with the style, and the fabric I chose, cause I think it makes me look boxy and chunky (something I try to avoid...)
here's a closeup of one of the buttons

and here's the pattern

i apologize for the wordiness!  and click on the pictures for a larger version.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008 12:31:45 AM by mouse123 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sblzmd
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008 02:21:57 AM »

this dress is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BettiePageIsMyHero
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008 03:36:41 AM »

I love it, I dont think it makes you look boxy at all, it nips in really nicely at your waist and gives you a lovely shape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat!

War.. war never changes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008 04:23:05 AM »

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree too! This suits you perfectly, the style looks like it was made just for you. The skirt has such a lovely flare to it and your hips are just the right size to pull the whole thing off, I'm very jealous.

I'd definatly try making it in another material before you decide you don't like it because if I could look like you do in that dress I would live in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008 05:36:59 AM »

I think it's cute on you, too.   The reason it was huge on you is that patterns build in  "wearing ease", and different patterns have different amounts of ease (you need more room in an outdoor coat pattern than you do in a corset, for example). Generally speaking, most patterns have the "finished measurements" printed somewhere in the pattern (either on the instructional sheet, or on the pattern piece itself), which will give you some idea of how much extra room they planned for it.  Personally, I wouldn't think that design would have much ease, but they could have presumed that you'd wear something under it.  Also, if you sewed smaller seam allowances than they figured (and when I'm sewing without a pattern, I typically sew with a 1/2 inch instead of the 5/8 inch seam allowance), you'll end up with extra space, especially if there are lots of seams (with princess seams, sewing the seams as I mentioned above could result in close to 2 inches extra room).   

Any chance you could share the curved hem instructions?  The only way mine come out well is with a very narrow hem (where the curve is mostly negligible).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
fort_loop
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008 07:03:47 AM »

Not boxy or chunky!  Figure-flattering, in fact, and quite cute.  I'm pretty sure this was the same pattern my mom used to make my high school cheerleading uniform, though  Cheesy  I'm curious what that dress would look like in a different fabric.  It looks like it would be tough to match stripes or patterns with all those seams, but maybe something with a shimmer or texture would be interesting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystico_tala
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008 10:17:58 AM »

I have to agree with everyone else.  The fitted waist and the flare make it very flattering!
Making it out of a lighter, flowier fabric may help with the boxiness, make the skirt hang differently.  I love the fabric you used though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...