A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
277 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aran Tree of Life baby afghan :)  (Read 117659 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , tree_of_life , blanket , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008 04:06:55 PM »

Oh my gosh, you guys, I'm just blown away by all your kind comments. You've saved the day - I needed to come home to this, having had a run-in with my statistics instructor who made it pretty clear she thinks I'm a useless idiot, which is not exactly the kind of morale boost one needs right before the midterm exams  Angry

I think I must approach knitting, especially cables, very differently than most - I see a someone asking how I kept track of the cables, but I just had a picture in my head of more or less how I wanted to to work, then on each row I moved the cables whichever way it seemed they needed to go. Trees being something organic that grow in a predictable manner helps too - I branched the cables off the trunk just as if I were drawing a tree. I can see the cables and how they relate to each other, which may not hold for everyone - I know my mom is baffled by them, but she can do intarsia and I can't!

To be honest, I have trouble following patterns (charts are OK) and I guess I learned pretty early on to think of knitting in terms of the three-dimensional final object rather than stitch by stitch. This also had the handy side effect of letting me look at pretty much any knitted item and (eventually) figure out how to build it. I still hate to swatch though!

Still waiting for neighbours (even just Dad) to get home so I can give it to them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008 04:10:55 PM »

this is amazing!

maybe you had seen the tree of life afghan from lion brand's website http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70122AD.html

they also have tree of life sweater (with the free cable chart) http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-treeOfLifeSweater.html?noImages=

No, I had not seen those particular ones - I like the afghan pattern. It looks like a little forest! Thanks for the links.

I know I saw a single tree with leaves somewhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
Quills
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008 04:16:38 PM »

This is something that I would consider to be an heirloom. I hope that you neighbors think that it is as beautiful as I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenacal3333
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008 04:18:55 PM »

that is one of the most beautiful pieces of knitting I have ever seen! you are inspiring me to teach myself to knit again (the first go didn't stick). just amazing, they'll love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zipperwhipped

I heart octopi.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008 04:46:44 PM »

This is undoubtedly the BEST, most awesomest, amazingest baby blanket (any blanket!) I have ever had the pleasure to lay eyes on.

I wish I had half your skillz.  Because, sister, you gots mad skillz.   Grin

TFS- now I have to knit myself a bib to keep the drool from shorting out my keyboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayyam
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008 05:08:47 PM »

WOW! i love this.
I'm going to try to knit that tree, i'm always up for a challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like what you see check out my etsy shop!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6683661
munch
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008 05:11:35 PM »

Wow that is amazing! I'm in awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008 05:30:37 PM »

Wink Wow....what a great baby gift! You are an awesome knitta!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
craftywillow
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008 06:24:07 PM »

I think I must approach knitting, especially cables, very differently than most - I see a someone asking how I kept track of the cables, but I just had a picture in my head of more or less how I wanted to to work, then on each row I moved the cables whichever way it seemed they needed to go. Trees being something organic that grow in a predictable manner helps too - I branched the cables off the trunk just as if I were drawing a tree. I can see the cables and how they relate to each other, which may not hold for everyone - I know my mom is baffled by them, but she can do intarsia and I can't!

I know I already commented but I'm doing it again, because...seriously?  I think you may be a genius. You obviously have a gift.  I wish I was your neighbor so I could come over and watch you knit and learn how to do this.  I love the way you view knitting as something organic and natural, and you've inspired me to look at it the same way.  And I love the look of cables.  I haven't knit them myself yet, but now I'm definitely going to give it a shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrimAtHeart
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008 07:19:27 PM »

How very beautiful your blanket is! I am so impressed with your talent and the result! You should be very pleased with yourself!!
Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...