A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,675
Currently Running With Scissors:
302 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideal size for baby blanket?  (Read 2311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

BoxOfRocks
« on: February 10, 2008 11:15:11 AM »

I'm don't have kids but the baby boom among my peers has begun.  I'd like to crochet some baby blankets as gifts.  I've looked up several patterns and gone to craft fairs to check out average sizes and they seem to vary a lot.  I'd like to get your input on what's most useful for new parents.

What I found was:

1)  4' x 3'.  I made one this size, after seeing a few patterns for blankets with these dimensions, but seemed huge.

2) 3' x 3'.  Seems more manageable.  I see this size pretty often in patterns.

3) 2' x 2.5'.  Saw some quilts this size at a fair.  Seemed small to me, but might be good to cover the kidlet in a car seat.

Any thoughts on a useful size?  One of the above, or other dimensions?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Comatose_Angel
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008 11:30:20 AM »

Well, I'm a new mom, so I've gotten a ton of blankets.

So far, though, the best has been a very large one. I think its 7 by 5.

But the perfect size for newborns is about 3 by 4.
Lay it down long end down, stick baby on it, flip one side over, then the bottom up and finally the other side. Instant swaddling.

The larger it is, the better it will grow with the child. My daughter is now 4 months and one of her baby blankets only goes about half way around her lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Julieko

Our newest member of the family..Jillibean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 07:25:25 PM »

I'm a mom and I sew, sooooo I always purchase 1 1/4 yards of 45" wide fabric, it makes a square that's just the right size for swaddling and for when the baby get's bigger.
Just my 2 cents.
HTH,
julie
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008 04:07:10 AM by Julieko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.blueberrymama.etsy.com
Adorable baby and nursing mama stuff at a great price!
grniys
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008 04:21:18 PM »

I'm a mom (my little man is 9 months old) and I actually prefer the smaller sizes. He's able to hold his blankey all by himself when we go somewhere, and I can tuck it into the carseat or stroller without it being too huge. So yeah, I like the smaller sizes best right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008 05:08:24 PM »

I crocheted a 2' by 3' blanket for a friend's newborn, and she said it was perfect for the carseat.  When it came time to make another one for another friend, my mom hauled out this hefty, two-sided crocheted blanket that she used when I was little.  It's about 5' square, and she said it was great for traveling - it was heavy enough to keep me warm in the car, and sturdy enough to be thrown on the floor for me to play/nap on.

My own opinion?  The smaller ones are easier to make, but the larger ones are more of a keepsake - I'd make a big one only for a good friend.  Whatever you do, go with a sturdy acrylic or cotton-blend yarn (no wool).  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chantelle
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008 12:14:07 AM »

I've made a couple baby blankets that are between 3 and 4 feet, and the people I made them for seemed pretty happy with them. I also just wanted to share that I've been sewing a lot lately, and when I read 5', 4' and 3', I read it as 5, 4 or 3 yards and I was picturing either ridiculously huge blankets or ginormous babies! I thought that was pretty funny.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gal from Panda
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008 08:05:42 AM »

iv been having the same issue, in trying to map out a baby quilt for a friend, iv been going through all the blankets i received last year when my baby was born, and they are all over the place!

3'x4' or 3'x3' i think is going to be the winner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheila
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008 05:06:12 PM »

Hooooly crap. I've been asking people how big a baby blanket should be for the past week now with no answers. Rah, I'm a little annoyed now. I just started a pattern for a blanket that is to be 30" by ... However long I decided to make it :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pumpkinlights
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008 09:23:03 PM »

I usually make mine at least 3 by 3.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands
Halloween Houses (Haunted, of course!)

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...