A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 314,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
144 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 2307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2008 02:48:55 PM »

I took a spinning class last Saturday. Part 2 is tomorrow. I have already spun 2 oz of the practice yarn we were sent home with. It is way overtwisted and really fuzzy. I am now getting in some more practice with a last little bit of the stuff I have left and I think need some pointers on how to hold the roving properly.

Here is a picture of how I hold it:

What do you think? Thanks for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibilightangel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008 07:43:23 PM »

In no way do I profess to have much spinning experience, but I spent a few hours with a master spinner last weekend so I picked up some tips from her. I personally hold more of my wool 'behind' my fingers, so I'm feeding and drawing near my thumb. I find that if I hold like you do, some of that wool that's past your fingertips will sometimes get caught on the single and create a lump that otherwise wouldn't have been there (though this is probably due to the angle I hold my hand).

I think the most important part I picked up with all the spinners I've spoken to is that you need to figure out what works for you, so you should try holding your wool in different ways and see what works better for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008 04:25:25 AM »

I agree, you are holding too far back. You want to be able to control where your twist goes, and with all that yarn in front of your fingers, you are just asking for a mess.
Also, your roving looks like it needs a little pre drafting. It's kinda smushed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 08:31:39 AM »

Yes to all of the above, it is between your index finger and thumb where you 'sort out' how the yarn is going to look. And yes, you should really try pre-drafting the fibre a bit (just pull it a little apart lengthwise, without breaking the roving).

Good luck and enjoy the class!

Veronika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008 08:22:12 PM »

I use both hands. One at the beginning of the draft and the other pulling the roving taut, making a sort of triangle. Does this make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008 09:38:05 PM »

I find that if I hold like you do, some of that wool that's past your fingertips will sometimes get caught on the single and create a lump that otherwise wouldn't have been there (though this is probably due to the angle I hold my hand).
Yes! This happens to me all the time. Thanks for the "behind your fingers" comment. That helps a lot.

Also, your roving looks like it needs a little pre drafting. It's kinda smushed.
It was totally smushed. I remember the teacher saying something about pre-drafting, but I didn't remember how it worked. When I tried it I ended up with a big pile of fluff. That didn't look like I'd be able to spin it so I decided to try spinning directly from the lump.

And yes, you should really try pre-drafting the fibre a bit (just pull it a little apart lengthwise, without breaking the roving).
AH! So that's pre-drafting. That will make spinning a little easier, definitely. Thanks!

I use both hands. One at the beginning of the draft and the other pulling the roving taut, making a sort of triangle. Does this make any sense?
Mmm-hmm. It does. During class today I found out I was doing a technique called a long-draw by pulling on the yarn kind of far from my roving-holding hand and letting the spin go way up. Today we learned about "woolen" and "worsted" styles of spinning and I will practice "worsted" from now on because I like the smoother look of that. And that will bring my hands closer together.

Thank you, everyone! I just bought 2 lbs of roving today so I will get a lot of practice in. YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008 01:16:32 PM »

Glad we could help! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008 10:19:12 AM »

I'm glad you found out how to do the long drawl!  Paula Simmons has a whole book on the long drawl method (Spinning for Speed and Softness).  It works so very well with well, pre-drafted roving.

I hold my fiber & draft various ways depending on what the fiber tells me to do.  Sometimes I use a long drawl, other times, the inch-worm.  Some times I use two hands and pull the draft forwards, other times I draft backwards.

There is no one Right way.  If it is comfortable to you and you're getting the results you want, then you're doing just fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008 02:45:59 PM »

I always do a modified long draw method when I'm working on my wheel.  I literally let the twist go into the roving and then pull on the twisted single several inches above the fibre to continue to feed onto the bobbin.  Of course, you have to find something that works for you.  For me, this helps my single stay even, as long as there's not too much twist in the single. 

When I'm spinning on my spindle, I do find a short draw method much easier. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008 04:57:29 PM »

"Right" is really a matter of opinion.  Try taking a look at this.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008 04:58:15 PM by Fiberwish » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet
Earth-Friendly Gift Wraps
Meatless Monday: Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...