A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
243 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with a Trip?  (Read 4145 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JolieLaide
« on: January 15, 2005 02:03:10 PM »

I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles... being an East Coast girl, I have no idea what I am doing.  Grin

I've searched Amazon for travel guides, etc, but really, nothing beats word of mouth advice. So, my fellow craftsters, can you help me out?

Any thing that is a must see? Any personal favorites hangouts? Or fabric stores? Grin I'm kind of on a (very) tight budget, but I really want to experience LA, and the sourthern California area.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftsurge

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005 05:22:04 PM »

I always take people to the Getty Museum http://www.getty.edu/... Its free ($5 for parking) and it would take 2 days to really enjoy it. You can get a decent priced lunch at the cafeteria ($5-10) and sit out on the patio there and look out at the city and ocean views. Its an amazing place. Also - I would go downtown to the fabric district if that is what you are into..... they have about 7 stores where everything is $1 a yard (some have 3 yard minimums- but still a good deal)  http://www.usc.edu/dept/geography/losangeles/lawalk/
Have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monstergirl
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005 02:44:39 PM »

Two questions: When are you coming out? and What is, to you, the 'quintisential California experience'? There are lots of things to do, and lots of events year-round, but helping determine what you want to experience helps with suggestions.

Friends from Michigan came out, and they wanted to do the "Hollywood" thing, so we took them to the Walk of Fame (um, its a REALLY bad area, btw), and down Melrose off the 101 fwy, where there are lots of funky shops up&down the street, Venice Beach is fun for people-watching. I'd also recommend Newport Beach and Laguna Beach (Laguna is very 'artsy' although people in those two areas are IMHO very bitchy and snobby), especially the tide pools. And of course, we did the Disney/Knotts/Universal Studios thing...and strangely, they wanted us to take them to Las Vegas, which btw is NOT in LA! LOL

I would check out the universities around here, many have guest lecturers, events, and museums/art exhibits that are very worthwhile (UCLA, USC (in a VERY BAD area), UC Irvine; CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, Biola University); I highly recommend visiting the Museum of Tolerance in LA, it's run by a Jewish...preisthood? that's not the right word, but very worth your time. And it's something you won't find in other parts of the country. The Getty Museum in LA rocks; if you want a science museum, the California Science Center in LA by USC is great, and much much better than the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana... All these things are within about 1 hour's worth of driving (unless you're in traffic, LOL), and we're talking city driving, not BFE driving.

I'm not very familiar with LA (I'm a SoCal girl but grew up 'behind the Orange Curtain' as it were), so if you're looking outside LA pls post where you'll be and I can post more specific things.

Good luck with your trip! Hopefully you won't come in when we're having another 15 days of rain LOL
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JolieLaide
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005 08:48:06 PM »

Neglecting my own topic, shame!
Thanks for all the help guys... I'm going to be around Venice Beach and Santa Monica for a couple of days in early June. The people I'm going with want to do the whole Hollywood thing... personally I want to see the Museum of Tolerance (thanks for the info, Monstergirl!), and check out the Third Street Promenade. I'm so excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfinch
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005 09:22:57 PM »

If you're going to do the whole Hollywood thing, when you're done, head the other way down sunset when you're done and check out the new Walt Disney Concert Hall. It's free (if you don't go on a tour, and you don't really need to, but it'd be cool to, also) and it's just beautiful (there's no disney crap, it's just who paid for it, or something. Wink ). It's designed by Frank Gehry, and just...I don't know, I love it.. And if you do that, just about right across the street is the LA Museum of Contemporary Art, which is sooo much fun (at least check out the gift shop! lol). Also, I highly recommend the Getty. Okay, enough of me! Here's where you can check out the WDCH.
http://www.musiccenter.org/wdch/. From these pictures it looks all kinda spacey and modern, but to me, when I saw it up close, it's very organic and watery and cozy feeling.  Here's a picture (of me, sorry) to show you the shiny surface!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 11:27:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005 10:07:52 PM »

I would definitely recommend the Getty, I loved it. Venice Beach was nice, you should see the canals while you're there, they're really pretty and I think they're lit up at night? I can't remember.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DevilDoll
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005 07:03:52 PM »

If you want to do the hollywood thing, you can do a lot of fun sightseeing for free.  There's a huge gift shop on Hollywood Blvd by Highland ave. thats on the corner about a block from the Mcdonald's - go there and get the book "This is Hollywood" - it has addresses and photos of tons of groovy & interesting stuff - old studio locations, former stars homes, famous suicide and murder sites, haunted places, studios past & present, landmarks, graves. 

Pick up a map of the stars homes too - so you can see where yer going & cuz it will have other interesting stuff like current celebrity homes, etc.  Should cost about $12 for both and you'll be entertained for a good long time!

While you are on Hollywood Blvd. you'll want to check our the Chinese Theater (it's right there by Hollywood and Highland too)  Right in front of there you will usually be a couple of people passing out free TV show tickets (during daylight hours) so you can be in the audience of a TV show.  They are usually giving out tickets for something that is being taped that day or night.   If you decide to go to one of those, show up good & early so you get a seat before they fill up.

Check out the Hollywood Forever cemetery while you are there - Johnny Ramone's grave is there with a really cool statue of him.  We found that by accident when we were there a couple weeks ago.  Valentino, Bugsy Segal & Cecil B Demille are there too, plus a bunch of other people I can't think of right now.

I've heard that the Paramount tour is excellent but you have to call ahead and make a reservation.  I think they only have them when people have called to set them up.  We just showed up when the tour was supposed to start and couldn't get one (I was sooo bummed.)

Anyway, hope this is helpful & hope you have an awesome time!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleagirl
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005 10:38:05 PM »

oh oh you have to go to the museum of jurassic technology:

http://www.mjt.org/

it's really bizarre and genius.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we're special in other ways, ways our mothers appreciate.
JolieLaide
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005 07:13:27 AM »

Hey guys,
Who knew I could get on from school? Scandalous! Anyways, I leave tomorrow for my West coast adventure, and I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DevilDoll
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005 03:03:09 AM »

Give us a quick update on your adventures when you get back!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...