A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 320,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
211 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melt and Pour Soap  (Read 28297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

StarStitches
« on: September 11, 2003 01:45:13 PM »

Hi,
 I just made my first melt and pour soaps! I bought the molds and soap from Michaels, found a great deal on a double broiler at the Goodwill and Wah La! What do you think?
http://www.starserge.com/files/My_First_Soaps.jpg
The white and pink soaps are a lavender and vanilla smell (kinda perfumey) but it smells nice. And the other two I got a little wacky with, I started putting in cinnamon then I added honey and bakers chocolate. I know don't know if that was a good idea for soap or not, but it smells devine!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010 11:35:43 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.heydayfashion.com
Get Your Shop On!
artzyfartzy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003 05:54:24 AM »

they look GREAT!  I've used cinnamon 'n bakers chocolate too...cocoa powder is another idea.  Coffee grounds work great as well!  Don't laugh -- but I've used peanut butter and it smells sOOOOO good ( i actually saw this on a website and right away tried it with a chocolate combo ( the peanut butter even had nuts in it!) worked great, smelled YUMMY!!!

I assume honey would be fine?  I've used honey in bath oil recipes and it lasted for months in my bathroom?  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003 08:20:54 AM »

those look so good!!!
i have never made soap before but yours came out so good i may have to try it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarStitches
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003 06:31:17 PM »

Hey thanks!

mmmmm peanut butter.... must try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.heydayfashion.com
Get Your Shop On!
algebraashley

i could so make something out of this....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003 07:33:09 AM »

melt & pour is so easy!

i made some too

http://www.cutandpastecrafts.com/soap.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like boring things- andy warhol
StarStitches
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003 11:42:42 AM »

Hey algebraashley those look nice. I've been using "life of the party" products too.
it's nice to know they have a web site.

Here's some more soaps that I've made. I made the star shape separately, using ice cube trays for molds.
 Anyway, how do I get those annoying air bubbles to go away? (it's kinda hard to see from the photos) The air bubbles are collecting to the corners of the stars and on the bottom of the soap. I remember reading some where that you can spray some kind of solution on the soap while it's cooling to make the bubbles disapear. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2003 11:43:43 AM by StarStitches » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.heydayfashion.com
Get Your Shop On!
artzyfartzy
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003 06:24:38 PM »

yup i know Grin

you get some rubbing alcohol and put it in a spray bottle.  when you do your embeds, you lightly spray the soap...this should help.  

after you pour your last layer immediate spray those bubbles away w/the mister!  The will disappear immediately!  

perfect bubble free soaps!!! Wink
btw, i love the color combo!!! coooool~ i've been working on making chocolate "butts"... like the vanilla-white versions on my site.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherry Cola

Do crafts not drugs!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003 09:23:20 PM »

Those look fantastic! Peanut Butter and Chocolate eh??? Sounds like a mighty good christmas present to me  Grin Thanks for the great ideas!

- cherry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask him if he likes fondue and macram.
michelex
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003 08:02:35 AM »

i make soap too.  & i was wondering how you get those annoying bubbles to go away too.

& peanut butter, i have to try that. but when you use chocolate, honey, or anything like that should you use a preservative, or is it okay not to? cuz i made a soap & put a slive of lemon in it but then the soap fell apart & then i learned that with things that can go rotten you should use a preservative. yeah, so does anyone know? ide appriciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003 08:21:57 AM »

u dont need a preservative for cocoa.  I cant say for sure w/peanut butter. i've used peanut butter and it's been fine.  alot of oil additives that alot of soapers tend to add-in  w/their melt and pour  soaps ..i know those actually needs a preservative.

not sure 'bout honey.  I made a bubble bath and it lasted over a year that had honey in it.. so i'm thinking no.

yeah i would think that lemon would make it fall apart.  use lemon fragrance oil or essential oil instead.  or add in lemon zest!

also note that the more add-ins you have --- sometimes you won't get as good of a lather.  experiment! until you find a happy-medium =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Flower Crown
Tiny House
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Breakfast Taco

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...