A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,771
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Secret Scrapbooking Resources?  (Read 3433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tivaclare
« on: February 06, 2008 01:13:42 PM »

I have never scrapbooked before, but have committed to making two albums as gifts. The first I'd like to have done by April is my sister's wedding album. The second is a memory album for my brother in law (his is a surprise). I'd also like to get started on a "year 1" album for my daughter and possibly an album for myself at some point. I've become quite captivated with scrapping!!

Now I need to ask: Where do you get your supplies? I'm on a pretty skinny budget at the moment, but would like my albums to be very elegant and timeless. I've done some research and have decided I'm not so much into the froofy stickers and whatnot. I like the journaling techniques a lot and using different blocks/frames.

Any recommendations as "must have"? I think those die cutter machines are really cool, but am not sure I can afford one. But, I do like the idea of tags. My area does not have any craft stores except for Walmart, so everything will pretty much be bought online.

Finding affordable paper is priority #1. I'd like to do my sister's album in a classic, possibly vintage sort of feel, no pastels.

TIA! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008 08:13:39 PM »

My favorite things I've put in scrap books weren't from the craft store at all Smiley

3/4 of the background paper in my wedding album was recycled gift wrap from showers and wedding presents. Most of the cards got included too, many cut to decorate a page.

Movie ticket stubs, putt-putt golf score cards,  post cards, all the ephemera of everyday life is my personal favorite stuff to scrabook with Smiley Don't get me wrong, I buy pretty paper and own 5 million pairs of scissors, but I think those things make it "mine" over being "anybodys". I buy a lot of solid colored card stock & draw my own borders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arlmatt
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 11:31:10 AM »

what size books are you thinking about making? there are some good sites and ebay is good sometimes. shipping can sometimes be high on paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008 02:00:21 PM »

I was thinking of doing both albums in 12x12. I have a lot of photos for both.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008 02:16:27 PM »

The dollar stores in my area have some amazing scrapbooking aisles.
Between that, Walmart, and what I find on sale at Michaels... I'm able to be a beginner scrapbooker on a budget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
Luna1375
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008 10:45:10 AM »

I would just be careful about wrapping paper since it's usually not acid free and will damage pictures over time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolacat
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008 05:51:19 AM »

hobby lobby stores have an awesome assortment of scrapbooking stuff at reasonable prices.  if you don't have a store in your city try www.craftsetc.com, which is HL's online store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luna1375
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008 07:23:47 AM »

I was just thinking, you could probably do both albums just using solid cardstock, which is cheaper than patterned paper.  If you want, you can decorate the paper yourself with stamps (some are very cheap), stencils and acrylic paints (less than a dollar each in the paint section, don't buy the expensive kind in the scrapbook section, no need), water colors, etc. 

You can paint using different faux finish techniques to get different textures. Sponge painting, ragging, using a feather duster (a really neat effect, you dip it and hit the paper with it, rotate, hit again until you get the look you want) spatter painting, etc.

Michaels craft stores have dollar bins of ribbons, some of which are very nice, and a dollar section usually near the registers with even more ribbons. For tags, there are most likely free templates online that you can print and cut out yourself. 

I don't have a good source for digital freebies, but I'm sure there are some out there, and even if there aren't, digital stuff is usually cheaper than physical.  I know you're not doing a digital book, but you can still print out digital papers to use in your physical book.  12 x 12 printers are expensive, but you can print the papers out smaller and use as mats, and this way you only pay for it once and can print as many copies as you need. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolesmemories
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008 09:14:31 PM »

If you don't mind purchasing items online I recommend

addictedtoscrapbooking.com or addictedtorubberstamps.com

they always have awesome sales and they have ways you can save extra such as if you purchase over 25 dollars you get to choose one free item. also there is a bonus rewards if you put in a certain code they tell you about on their sale page to get 5% of your previous purchase towards your next purchase.
Also daily/weekly items are 10-20% off!!!

I hope that helps!!!

Grin

-Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Cards By Nicole
NicolesMemories.com
ZoBeDesigns
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008 03:18:20 PM »

Try www.frugalities.com.  I recently ordered from them for the first time and was very happy.  They discount everything and the discount changes each day.  I was able to get 49% off everything I ordered because I took a short survey about the website and what I would like to see for sale. 

They say that their shipping takes a lot longer than some of the other websites out there but I didn't find that to be true at all.  I ordered on a Friday and had my stamps by the next Thursday.   Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.caelum.etsy.com
Why buy Hallmark when you can buy handmade
Hobby Crafty
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008 08:08:18 PM »

It's great that there are lots of craft store and website in your country.
But it is very difficult to find the papercraft store in my site...Thailand!!!

Cry Cry Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vira
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008 09:25:09 AM »

ooh I loved the frugalities.com website! The paper packs that I wanted were 49% off...but then I found out that they don't ship to Canada!! {sob!}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pheebly
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008 11:07:55 PM »

For ideas and inspiration?
www.craftster.org
www.scrapbook.com The gallery is amazing! Tons of ideas and much more affordable than buying a magazine or book.
www.pagemaps.com She has gorgeous sketches of pages that really rev up your creativity.
Your public library. Sure the scrapbooking books may be on the older side, but you never know what techniques or title inspiration or journal inspiration you can get from them! Angie Pederson's books are a little on the primitive side craftwise, but are a goldmine for ideas for your own pages and journaling! The big old Creating Keepsake books always have a bunch of techniques.

For supplies:
www.busybeescrapbooking.com <--- You can get whole lines or paperpacks here from between $4 and $13. I love their selection of papers and the option to purchase single sheets or whole packs.

www.embellishonline.com <--- They have great clearance sales, have the whole range of Basic Grey (my favorite paper line.) and their free shipping kicks in at $45 - the least expensive place I've come across.

www.frugalities.com <--- While their stuff is not always the most new or updated, I do love that they have revolving sales. It does help the ol' pocketbook out. Smiley

Also, I know you said you only have a Walmart, but if you have a Dollar Tree, Dollar General, or Big Lots, these places (especially Big Lots) are great places to find surprises. I've gotten namebrand embellishments at Big Lots for a dollar. And Dollar Tree generally has namebrand knockoffs that work great.

I also like the idea of printing off digital things. One site I like for this "hybrid" scrapping is : http://www.altscrap.com/index.php. You can also just google scrapbook freebies or digital scrapbook freebies.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...