A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
156 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm so excited i can't think straight! :D  (Read 2162 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 05, 2008 04:45:43 AM »

My family clubbed together for my 30th birthday yesterday and bought me an Ashford Traveller! I nearly fainted when i saw it as i had no idea what anyone was getting me and had long since given up hinting about anything. (my reasoning was that no-one i knew could afford it on their own...i hadn't counted on their wiliness! )

I have the box all sealed still as I don't want to start getting the bits out before i know what to do and then lose one or something, also i have a ton of work to do this week, so the fun might have to be delayed.

can any of you wise spinstresses tell me a good thing to finish the wood with? The website has a tin of wax to do it with, would that be best or are there crafty alternatives?

Should i put it together and then finish the wood or finish all the bits and then assemble it?

To go with my lovely wheel DH got me a bag of washed Cotswold fleece, some lovely Alpaca roving five bright acid dyes and a pair of hand carders! how much do i love him? Cheesy

I frankly cannot wait to start spinning dyeing and having fun with it all but i thought with all the communal knowledge on Craftster, you might be able to give me some pointers! Cheesy

thanks for your time guys, I'll post pictures when i get the chance. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 05:16:41 AM »

Happy Dancing for you!!!  Congratulations!  I love my Traveller best of all my wheels!

Put a finish on the wheel before you assemble it, oil it well.

I keep the allen wrench & an oil bottle in a knitted bag hung on my wheel so it is available whenever I need it.

Enjoy!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
jazzturtle
Every breath is Healing...

Life is better with jazz!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 08:55:23 AM »

Whoo hoo Congrats!!! Cheesy  Grin  Smiley

My new wheel showed up a few weeks ago and I haven't stopped spinning since!! (I got a Joy rather than the traveller..  but I just LOVE it!!)

Definitly set things up when you have plenty of time to play with it.  and make sure you let all the finish DRY completely(if you are using a wet varnish, like a poly) ... you don't want the pieces sticking!!!!

Have fun...  good luck trying to keep your hands off it for a week LOL!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop-  Lots of Handspun yarn and Fun Fiber Batts!
http://Jazzturtle.etsy.com

Ravelry Group:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/jazzturtle-creates

Flickr photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzturtle/

My thoughts and processes..
http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 01:14:19 PM »

Hooray! I don't know if I could finish it,lol. Congratulations on your new traveler. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008 05:11:16 AM »

Congrats! Sounds like many fun times are ahead of you!

Myself I am just varnishing the Ashford Jumbo flyer with some matte paint, as I am not so much into shiny finishes. Wax is also a good option, and yes, you should definitely do it before you assemble it.

I wish you a lot of patience waiting for the paint to dry, lol.

Veronika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008 03:02:49 PM »

thanks guys, its lovely to have people who understand the feeling! all my friends have kind of said "oh...great..." in a baffled way lol

I have been trying to think of a quick and simple way to finish the wood, and i found a jar of quite promising looking goop.
Its Lord Sheraton Pure beeswax Balsam with Beeswax Pine Turpentine and Linseed oil.
It looks great, really buttery, smells like the stuff you rub on your chest when you have a cold, and seems to give the wood a very natural soft finish (i only tried it on one small bit).
The problem is the smell, I don't want all my yarn to smell of pine turpentine for ever, but it seems like good stuff otherwise...what do you think? should i give it a go? I wondered if the smell might stay longer because the wood is totally porus now, whereas when you use it on French polished furniture it would wear off quite quick.

I have all the pieces laid out on my dining table all ready and i bough new soft cloths...if i have to wait till tomorrow i may die of impatience! ;-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008 02:40:48 AM »

I'd probably go for it, but am really not sure as to whether  the smell would wear off or not...

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008 06:35:28 AM »

well after sniffing the experimental piece this morning, i am glad i didn't do the whole lot, it still smells and the polish hasn't really finished it either. I'll get some proper wax and do it all with that i think.

I very carefully re wrapped all the bits and put them back in the box, so i wont just be staring at it for days!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008 09:57:36 AM »

I am proud to say that i put two coats of tung oil on it and put it together and it looks amazing! I tried my best with some roving my husband bought me to go with the wheel, and i even pre drafted it to make my life easier to begin with (i didn't think i could keep up otherwise). The result is a fat/thin overspun crazy maggot of a thing, but i love it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008 07:47:08 AM »

heres all the pieces drying

heres the only half decent shot i got of it before i started using it

Here's the yarn after dyeing...i didnt take any of it on the bobbin for some reason.

here is a curly bit...sorry about the crappy quality, my camera was on the wrong settting but i was too gleefull to notice...

heres the pretty stuff all dry and wound into a ball. (how do you do skeins without a niddy noddy?)

here it is knitted up...

sorry for cross posting with fiber friday btw...i thought you should see all the gory details! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...