A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
203 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 9th Birthday Party Dresses x 6  (Read 8149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2008 12:50:18 AM »

or 7, if you count the one I made for my youngest who wanted a dress just like her big sister.

Basically, with reference to the Quickie (Infinity) dress thread (https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.0) I let my daughter have a fashion themed 9th birthday party where each guest was given one of these dresses.

I guesstimated the girls sizes based on how they appeared to measure up compared to my own daughter and got things mostly right.  I made the dresses out of stretch panne velvet, so it is sort of like dancewear.  I wish I had more photos, but I was the only adult at this sleepover party and cooking, hairstyling, manicuring and leading them in games, jewellery-making and other crafts meant that I was flat out. Tongue  Here's one that shows the dress style and colour:

Here's a shot showing how the scraps got utilised during the hairstyling sessions:

Here's a shot of the six dresses bundled up together with booklets I made explaining different tying styles (so when they get home their mothers can help them try more styles):

Finally, I admire my little girl so much, who wanted a party where every one of her special friends got a great gift - and she agreed we would do this instead of getting her an extravagant gift (she chose a $10 school backpack as a gift from the family in addition to the new dress).

It was a great party theme and I bought a jar of beads in a complementing colour so they all made jewellery to go with their new dresses as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Pinkguin
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 01:31:38 AM »

Wow, what a cool mom you are! I'm sure the girls will enjoy their new dresses (literally). Smiley the fabric's really cool too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand it over to you on a plate

http://www.wists.com/Pinkguin
LeesaLove
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 01:50:15 AM »

WOW! what an amazing idea....
your kiddo is very generous, you should be a proud momma!!

Those dresses a gorgous! he party must have been a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 02:45:42 AM »

Great dresses!
And an even greater idea for a party!
How lucky is your daughter to have a mum like you
 Smiley
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
norahkate
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 04:06:32 AM »

wow...that's such an awesome idea!  i bet she was one happy little girl.  my 13 yr old niece comes on here for ideas (of things i can make her) ever since i made her a reconned t-shirt tube dress and now i just know she is going to ask for a party like this...any interest in coming over and helping me with it?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008 04:53:15 AM »

That is such a cool party idea!  It must have been a blast.  It sounds like you are an awesome mom. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
RubySugar

"and ideas are bulletproof."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008 04:58:09 AM »

You did an awesome job!! Giving the gift of your time will last your little girl alot longer than anything you could have ever bought! You definitely get a "The Best Mom" gold star!!  With a bonus star for bravery in having hosted the party all on your own! Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Melinda-
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008 05:07:32 AM »

Great idea to provide glamour dresses, but I REALLY like the idea of their fooling around with the beads, instead of it ALL being focussed on making themselves externally beautiful....such a nice alternative and complementary activity... I mean, make-overs are fun and all, but creativity as a life skill needs to be nurtured, and you hit a HOME RUN!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 05:31:00 AM »

Wow, thanks!  It was great to check in and see everyone's kind comments.

I REALLY like the idea of their fooling around with the beads, instead of it ALL being focussed on making themselves externally beautiful....
Thanks.  Yes, as 9 year olds it was all about having fun and the emphasis was on creative activities.  We also made little beaded drops which we attached to bobby pins and called "hair cascades".  It was a lot of fun and our 'makeovers' didn't include any makeup - just some coloured nail polishes and the option to try different hair braiding techniques.  Everyone felt special because of the time we spent together and the favourite activities also included funny storywriting and chocolate-making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008 06:38:40 AM »

awesome idea, I will have to remember this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...