A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promoting to shops  (Read 1654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2008 10:17:49 PM »

I am trying to get my jewellery into some local boutiques rather than spending every weekend at the farmers market. I made these little portfolios to bring to each shop; I include 4-6 photo postcards of my work in the portfolio, tailored to each shop's tone and clientele. 

I made the folders out of fancy cardstock from a scrapbooking store. My artist's bio and other information are on different fancy papers, and I included a sheet with pricing information.

What do you all think?

Outside:

Inside:

Inside, exploded:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
My Little Customs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 02:47:57 AM »

i really love them! tons of information, beautifully presented ~ what more can you ask for?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alaris
sewing n00b

~ alaris from the sky ~

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008 01:49:21 PM »

Very very very professional. Way to go! ^_^ b
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Littleclouds
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008 03:07:51 PM »

that is suuuch a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yellowplum

yellowplum beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008 12:17:53 PM »

Very professional, and cute too!  Great idea! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yellowplum beads ~ contemporary designs in beaded jewelry

www.yellowplumbeads.net

Etsy: http://yellowplum.etsy.com

Boundless Gallery: http://yellowplum.boundlessgallery.com
gramybax
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008 05:51:28 AM »

I think it looks great but I have one question - are you taking actual samples of your work with you?  I guess I really had two questions - and do you leave the packet with them to look at and get back to you?  Just curious as I think it would be beneficial to have some of your items with you.  They may want them right on the spot to put in their shop while you are there.  Good luck.  I am just starting to explore this avenue as well.  It is very intimidating but I think would be worth the effort if you were able to get even just a few places to carry some of your work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missliz01

my cat playing dead ;p

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 11:25:25 AM »

I think that is very clever and very well done.  It looks like you really create quality items and that is reflected in your professional looking portfolio.  I'm sure the shop owners will appreciate this, and I hope some deals pan out for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darcicles
Darcicles

Silly me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008 11:42:00 AM »

It's a great idea!

However....

I have never made it a practice to just walk into a shop, looking to promote my items. It would be in your best interest to put together a list of names and nuimbers, then call each prospect and ask for the owner or manager. If they show interest, you can mail them a brochure, or drop one off. Most store owners would rather talk with an artist face to face. If that's the case, make an appointment with them. Bring your info packets, but also bring some samples. Photos are one thing, an actual item to touch, hold, and feel is another.
You also don't want to saturate your local selling community with your products. For that reason, you will tend to get less sales.

You also have options like consignments. At one point, I had 14 stores that consigned my items. It is a lot of traveling, but if you have the energy for it, it is well worth doing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008 01:44:57 PM »

That is an awesome portfolio!  I think any shop owner will be impressed with your attention to detail, which goes a long way toward your being viewed as a professional.

Darcicles is right about making an appointment with the shop owner.  I worked at a gift shop, and whenever a jewelry maker came by unannounced, my boss said "NO".  And she said she would have showcased the jewelry on consignment but she hated being put on the spot so much that she refused to deal with folks who came in unsolicited.  

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...