A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
301 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I make for someone who lost a baby?  (Read 1454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 30, 2008 01:15:44 PM »

My sister just found out that she lost her baby.   Cry  I want to make her something special, but don't have any ideas.  I mostly sew...do some quilting as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I can't really think right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heavens_devil
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008 01:26:28 PM »

Maybe a little package of her favourite things?
Or a quilt, something for her to snuggle into if she's feeling sad.
I'm sure she'll appreciate anything, just knowing someone is thinking about you during a difficult time is worth more than anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wanderluster

give a hoot- don't pollute!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008 06:08:52 PM »

I had to go through this, and honestly for a while I was really just plain numb. I mostly ate, cried and mindlessly watched TV or did easy crosswords. I was all about comfort and spent my days snuggling with the boy & curling up in my most comfy PJs. Then I started to snap out of it and my boyfriend bought me some random little necklace beading set from Michaels. That helped a lot- it gave me something to do with my hands that wasn't too hard and gave pretty quick gratification. He also took me on an overnight trip to the beach which was *very* helpful but that's not really crafty.

So maybe a blanket or new PJs or a comfy sweatshirt or a cute pillow? Or make her her favorite meal/cookies/snack? Or a coloring book, crossword/ word search book or some other easy craft set she would like to do? I also painted which helped me express my pain a lot.

Hopefully that helps! I really feel for your sister, it's the most awful experiences I went through so far in my life. And I agree, anything you do to show you love her will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...and what I have seen is beautiful."

http://themargaritaglassishalffull.blogspot.com
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008 01:30:19 AM »

You know your sister best, but quite honestly I think you should proactively help with her basic needs right now rather than crafts.  Do you live close to her?  Bring over some a bunch of homemade dinners that can frozen and reheated when she doesn't feel like cooking.  Temporarily help out with the household chores--laundry, groceries, maintenance.  You didn't mention if she was married or lived with anyone, but coordinate with her SO, if she has one, about ways you may be able to help out.  I say "pro-actively" because even the well-intentioned "please let me know if there's anything I can do" might not be acted upon by someone who is going through a difficult time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008 07:39:04 AM »

Unfortunately, we live 1400 miles away from her, so while I wish I could do the practical things, I can't.  I'm really hoping her church is taking care of the basic needs right now.

Wanderluster...thank you so much for your input.  I've never been through this, so your post was very helpful.  I'm so sorry for your loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kissthegirl
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008 01:58:47 PM »

Cry
if she was far along enough to have had ultrasound pictures, maybe you could make a frame for her to put one in. Maybe even a little poem or quote or something. I have never been through this, but I think if I had I would have wanted people to know that even though this baby wasn't born, it was still loved and would be remembered.
My aunt and uncle lost their seven week old baby boy last summer to SIDS, and I made them a shadow box with pictures and handprints in it. I know they really appreciated it, as it was something they could show their two young daughters to help them remember their brother. I also made my cousins each a necklace with his picture on it by sealing it in some resin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008 03:27:20 PM »

i dont have any ideas really, just my condolences! i hope you all find strength right now... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
rossie
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008 05:48:16 PM »

I'm so sorry to read of your sister's loss.  My heart goes out to her, and of course to your family.   

Perhaps with your sewing skills you could make an heirloom teddy bear as a keepsake, something for her to cuddle with. If the baby was named you could embroider it.

Or a pair of hand-stitched booties in a box frame with a poem or message from you.

You could make a memory quilt for her, as kind of a tribute to her child and a promise that they won't be forgotten.  I made one of these for my grandmother, and each square represented something that reminded me of her - a cat, certain flowers, a song, etc. 

A handmade journal that will help her to write down her thoughts and feelings.  You could put in some cards with questions or prompts on them to help her express herself.  Sometimes finding the words or even knowing where to start is very difficult.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008 08:52:43 AM »

This was just posted in the misc. section. I think it would be a good idea. As long as it is something to kind of get her mind off of it then it should be ok.
Just let her know you are there for her. That is what really matters. Losing a baby is very traumatic and all you really need at that point are the bare essentials and understanding people.

but try this:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=227166.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath
Sweet Hearts

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...